Topic

Emulating Golite Pack’s “Compacktor” System

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Emulating Golite Pack’s “Compacktor” System

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I'd like add something like Golite's "compacktor" clips to my backpack. Anyone know where I can order in small quantities?

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Would something like a mitten hook from Quest work?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Ben,
    These are double ended clips. Sew loops where you want them and clip them together. Sometimes I file the "latch" on the free end to make it easier to disengage.

ClipsDoubleEnded2

If you're interested, send me an address, and I'll mail them.

As I type, my e-mail server is down, so I won't be able to do anything until it is restored. But, hopefully by the middle of the week.

Let me know here.

Then PM or email direct to greg at smgm dot org

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, Ben and Greg (esp. for your offer to mail).

I find those clips reasonably easy to insert but sometimes tedious to separate. What I prefer is what's shown on the right hand side of the above photo — or somthing like this. I think I might just buy it from REI — $7 for a pair — meaning four plastic hooks plus material — enough to modify two packs.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

Why not just add a small webbing strap across the bottom, with a buckle like the ones on the end of shoulder straps in the middle so you can synch the webbing tighter. Then you could vary the amount of compaction.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I found a pair of Nite Ize plastic size #0 'biners that are about the same size as Greg's, but far easier to clip/unclip something. I use them to clip my quilt cords. They're cheap, maybe 2 for $2. They were near the REI checkout line with all the other various keychain 'biners. But I'm liking the suggestion of a cinch strap–more weight, maybe, but clever and adjustable.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Mountain Laurel Designs has a compactor system on some of its packs. Ron Bell might be able to point you in a direction about where to buy clips.

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

On my most recent MYOG pack I wanted something similar, but couldn't find the plastic pieces, and I just happened to have some extra guyline adjusters, so I used them and they worked great. I'm almost always carrying spare guyline. I also like this method because I could now use the same pieces (ring, adjuster) to strap something on the bottom of the pack and if I don't need them, there's very little weight added compared to a webbing system.
    Now that I've used it a bit, I would maybe use two rings rather than just one.
    Hope that helps.

myog pack bottom
    MYOG pack bottom2
    MYOG pack bottom3

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Would the cord hooks shown here work:

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/snap%20hooks.html

Scroll down the page for cord hooks without a gate.

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Locale: Finland, Espoo
    Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

How about a small biner?
    I almost always have a couple biners hanging on my pack anyways.
    The minibiners that MLD sells are pretty solid, and you could also use them for guyline adjusters like this:

biner

I use these for the four corners on my hammock tarp and have never had them slip. I use the MLD liteline though, and it's kind of abrasive. You could maybe just wrap the line one more time for slippier line though?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools