Topic

Can anyone recommend a great shop for customizing gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can anyone recommend a great shop for customizing gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I used a place called Rainy Pass Repair, I think they’re very good, but I found them very high priced. However, they stuck GIANT metal pit zips in a light nylon covered reversable Patagonia fleece shell – I couldn’t believe they used these. They are heavy, they are freezing cold and they let wind in. They should have used waterproof zips or thin plastic zippers.

I have a few pieces I want to modify (pit zips, etc.), looking for a shop that won’t do the above.

John Penca

@john-penca

Locale: SoCal

Google it. Talk to Penny.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Thanks John, appreciate it very much. What experience have you had with them? What have you sent them?

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

You could try Tactical Tailor. They do lots of mods to the Army Alice Pack. I have one of their modded packs, definitely not lightweight but very durable. They will do custom work, just ask. Very good warranty with their work.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Did you ask if they’d do them with the newer zippers?
    Penny does good work, and I would recomend her. She is a mod on The Light Backpacker, and lives in Wa state. She is not cheap though-and good seamstress is not cheap I hate to say it ;-)
    Doing mods is not that hard usually, if you have some sewing skills. Thing is, it is wether or not you want to risk wrecking an item. I mod my stuff often, many times it would have been cheaper to have just paid someone to do it (after getting the materials, figuring out patterns on paper, and taking the time to do it!).
    So talk to Penny!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools