Topic

Seam Allowances

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Seam Allowances

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

I’m building my own pack, and am trying to decide what kind of seam allowances are necessary for a simple flat seam (no [mock] french, or felled seams)—the kind that will hold the walls to the back panel. 5/8ths is the standard for most purchased clothing patterns, but it seems as though more or less would be necessary for various fabrics and seams.

For urethane coated nylons, I have a hard time believing that a triple-stiched 1/2 inch felled seam allowance would fail before the fabric or stitching itself.

Does anybody have either insight or hard evidence, so that we may minimize/optimize our material usage?

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I just finished the G4 pack, and it called for 1/2″ seam allowances. Its an UL pack though. Not sure what you have in mind.

Dwight

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

I’m basically making a rucksack w/ 200 denier packcloth and 1.9oz urethane coated ripstop. Thanks for the reminder of the G-4’s pattern. ALW

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I find 10 mm is plenty, and 6 mm is enough with light fabrics and some care for a simpler seam – hem at edge, open out, flatten and oversew.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools