Topic

where to buy fuel for alcohol stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion where to buy fuel for alcohol stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    kevin smith

@divr6347

just a quick question

does anyone know where to buy fuel for alcohol stoves if your in central california

i have no idea where to get it hence it does me no good to buy a stove i can t use

thanks

divr6347

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Denatured alcohol at hardware stores, yellow HEET at auto stores, 99% isopropyl alcohol at some grocery+pharmacy stores.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Paint stores, hardware stores, the big box stores like Home Depot, Lowe's, KMart, etc.–basically any place that sells painting supplies–will have denatured alcohol (mostly ethanol with a little methanol or other substance mixed in so you can't drink it) . HEET (mostly methanol) is available at gas stations and auto parts stores (it's a gas line antifreeze). Most isopropyl alcohol that you find in the drugstore or supermarket is too diluted to use as fuel–check the label. In addition, there's Everclear (drinkable) at the liquor store, if it's legal in your state.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

nvm

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

190 proof Everclear is not legal for sale in California.

In Northern California, we have to head to Reno NV to buy any.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Marine supply stores carry denatured alcohol too. I just get a quart at a time at the local hardware store. Some carry "green" versions with a lot less methanol and other additives.

I think I paid $13.50 for a 750ml bottle of high-proof Everclear the last time I was in Missoula. It's okay mixed with powdered drink mixes and certainly delivers the bang for the buck, but it isn't sippin' whiskey by a long shot. It does give dual use for fuel and recreation, and can also be used for first aid, where denatured isn't good for you. I still prefer an aged Scotch, but you won't see me pouring in a stove!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

well From what Ive absorbed, as far as denatured alcohol, Ace Hardware sells some high ethyl content denatured alcohol. I use it and it definitely doesnt have near the chemical smell as SLX which is high in methyl. (and a bunch of bad additives)

I didnt read the whole thread and noticed folks are talking about drinking alcohol, so maybe this answer is not the one being asked for.

Denat. is WAY cheaper than Everclear

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

If memory serves correctly, the most potent drinking alcohol we can get in the State of California is 120 proof. That's a poor choice for a stove.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

In California, there are some 130- 140- and 150-proof beverages available. They will burn, but they aren't great.

If you have to fly with the stuff, 140-proof is the highest that you can pack in a suitcase for an airliner.

–B.G.–

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

Ace is the place for your denatured alcohol purchase! Worked for me….

Any of the above mentioned spots will work. I do like the denatured alcohol that was put out by Sunnyside that touts the marine alcohol stove use. Seems to burn very well!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools