Topic

How to Sew Guy Line Loops to Tent Fly??? Need Tips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How to Sew Guy Line Loops to Tent Fly??? Need Tips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    F. Thomas Matica

@ftm1776

Locale: Vancouver, WA

I'd like to sew (or have my girl friend sew) some guy line loops to my Cooper Spur UL1.

Can you point me to a page on BPL or other place where this is explained?

I guess I would place a double loop about half way up the center pole from the small end of the tent in order to better guy down that end. Also I thought that it might be good to also put a loop at each end of the top cross pole, also attached to the fly.

These are places where there are seams. I don't think it is wise to open up the seams, so some sort of reinforced patch, with the guy loop incorporated would be the way to go??? Or could a loop of lighter webbing just be tacked to the seam area?? Then a good seam-seal job.

Please comment or point to a source.

PS: Off topic, but I thought it was interesting how the tent body could be detached from the poles, so I included a couple of pictures of that.

View From Small End of Tent

Small End With Tent Body Detached

From Door Way

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

There is a good tip in this BPL article: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog-laminating-silicone-impregnated-fabrics.html

Basically, sew the tie-out loop to a patch of silnylon, then glue the patch to the fly using silicone

F. Thomas Matica

@ftm1776

Locale: Vancouver, WA

Stuart, Thanks.

I'd like to see some techniques that don't involve glue just to keep it as simple as possible. I would keep things dry and seal the stitching well. The factory attach points look good and are simple stitchings.

So, are there any tips out there as to the design of the attach loop and any reinforcing patches???

Where can go for a "how to"????

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Jay Ham did an article how to make tarp that includes tie-outs

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_5_yards_to_sul_part_3.html

Or, you could use the glueing method except do two rows of stitches around the perimeter rather than glueing. Make sure the rows of stitches aren't on top of each other which would weaken the fabric

But, it seams simpler to glue it than sew it, only problem is you have to wait for it to dry. I'de set up the tent so it stretches the fabric and then glue so it doesn't stretch out the glue joint

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I would also consider putting a bit of reinforcing material on the inside to help take the load. A bit of double-sided tape should be a good start here, and oversew at the edges.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools