Topic

AZT to GDT Route

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips AZT to GDT Route

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Mayberry
    BPL Member

@benmayberry

Locale: Wetside Cascades

A few months from now I'll be heading out on a ~4,250 mile thru-hike of what I'm calling the "AZT to GDT Route". It's a combination of four different long-distance hiking routes that runs from the U.S.-Mexico border at the Arizona Trail's southern terminus to deep in the Canadian Rockies at the northern terminus of the Great Divide Trail. Its largest section is along the Continental Divide Trail, which it follows for about 1,800 miles from southern Colorado to Waterton Lakes.

I've really enjoyed reading about hikers that find new ways to make use of hiking trails (i.e. not just hiking from end to end like everyone else – no offense intended to any thru-hikers) and hope that others will find my hike interesting for the same reason. There's lots of info on my hike at http://benmayberry.net/adventures/azt-to-gdt and I'll be posting updates there once I get started.

I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts on this,
    Ben

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

You deserve a bump because I think this hike will be awesome. Hope you're enjoying the FT. When do you think that you'll start the AZT?

For others,

Ben's Twitter.
    Ben's Photo Albums.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA
    Benjamin Mayberry
    BPL Member

@benmayberry

Locale: Wetside Cascades

I'm looking at March 20th as a start date for the AZT. I just got back from my FT thru-hike a few days ago and need a few weeks in civilization to finish planning and packing resupply boxes. I'll try to have an itinerary for the trip posted on my website before I start.

Thanks for posting those links. I'll admit I was expecting more of a response to this trip announcement and was a bit surprised when it didn't draw any attention. It should be an amazing trip and I imagine it'll gain an audience as it gets further along.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I'm looking forward to watching your progress it looks like it will be a great trip,you should look up Justin Lichters 2005 trip if you haven't already http://www.justinlichter.com ,very similar and he said the GDT was very difficult but goes through some of the prettiest places he had ever seen.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools