Topic

Looking for bomb proof fabric…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Looking for bomb proof fabric…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    patrick walsh

@apbt1976

I keep throwing my crampons through my OR gaiters. I do not have the expedition ones just the regular. The fabric only goes up about 6 inches on the inside of the leg. Rather than using duct tape to fix them once or twice a week i am thinking why not just sew something tough the rest of the way up the inside of the leg? Any suggestions and insight as to what i could use?

I figure i can seam seal the stitching with the same stuff you use on a tent and make them waterproof again?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I don't know, but I know what I would try. Try to find some material like a synthetic leather. I have some ski boots made out of this stuff. It looks and flexes like leather, but it is plastic and slick so snow does not stick. You would need two pieces of about 4"x6", and you would have to sew them onto the inside-ankle places on the gaiters. That would require a strong sewing awl or a very serious sewing machine.

–B.G.–

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

The gaiters use 1000D cordura on the lower 6-inch section, which is usually tough enough for the occasional snag here and there. If you want to keep the overall package fairly light, I would extend the 1000D cordura up to your desired height. There are other materials that are way stronger, but also a lot heavier, and I think they would be overkill for the application.

I presume that your crampons are brand new? This happens a lot when they are out of the box sharp, and when the user hasn't quite nailed down the technique. Give it a couple more outtings and the tips should be dull enough that they aren't destroying your gaiters with every misstep…you may find that this modification is unnecessary once the tips aren't piercing sharp anymore

Also, there isn't a difference between the expedition crocs and the regular crocs, other than the circumference of the gaiter. The expeditions are larger near the bottom opening so they fit around double plastic boots etc. Both versions of the gaiters have the same height of 1000D cordura on the inner leg

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Hypalon. That's what is used on bomber commercial packs made for winter travel. It's expensive but works. Here's a link below. Call them and you could probably get a remnant or partial yardage. They are good people, I just put an order in with them today.

http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/Misc.Woven.asp#Hypalon

Douglas Ray

@dirtbagclimber

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Duller crampons will help, often it is one point that you consistently snag and I have been known to dull it with a file.

Stiff fabric is harder to catch than softer fabric. I'd imagine hypalon would work well.

I found that getting a gaiter that fit snug and didn't have any bunching or extra fabric helped a lot, I'd say almost as much as my improved technique over the years. I ended up with Black Diamond gaiters for that reason.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

Try the slip-not grip fabric from rockywoods, (part # sn12000) I have a sample of it and I think it would work.
    Good luck

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

I thought i read somewhere that the expedition version of the crocs had a heavy material all the way up to the top on the inside? Anyway i did get the regular version as i was being cheap needing so much new stuff. I also knew the expedition ones would never fit my skinny legs ;)!

I am sure you are right and i will get better with my footing over time and this will not happen as often as it is at the moment. Although i know it is not the smartest thing in the world i do it anyway and kinda speed walk and at times do a light jog to run even when hiking in snow. This is how i end up catching my gaiters with my crampons. I also figured i could just throw decorative patches over the wholes as i make them one at a time. That however would be much more heavy and def not waterproof at al!

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

I think i was posting as others where writing? Anyway i took a look at those two fabrics. Any idea how thick either of them are? Also anyway to weld or glue the fabric on so i don't have to sew? I only wanna try this though if it is sure to stay put. otherwise i will just hand sew and seam seal.

I think i need to invest in a heavy duty sewing machine as i am always in the need of one. For instance i need to make some custom dog booties as i have yet to buy a pair that stay on in snow unless it is packed down. After about 3-4 hours hiking in winter my dogs pads start to get real red!! I also think i could make some very nice outdoor gear?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Dude, my bad. I just pulled out my expeditions, and you're right. The Cordura goes up the entire inside leg…Not sure why I thought it was just goretex up there. My mistake, sorry.

How bad are your snags? If they are just holes, you can put seam grip over them…it'll be waterproof. As a matter of fact, you probably could get away with just cutting out a panel of cordura, seam gripping the edges, and slapping that over the goretex panel. It'll probably reduce the breathability though. I find that shoe-goo works well too, having used it to repair torn CCF pads etc.

I only have the expeditions, but I use them for both my double plastic boots, and my single boots. I have a size large b/c of my foot size (9.5-10) not because of my build. I'm skinny like you at 5'9" ~143lbs, and the gaiters fit okay around my calves. I have skinny calves though, so they fit a lil loose but not unbearable. A lot also depends on what I'm wearing for pants. They def fit sloppier when i'm using them with my single layer boots, but I haven't had any issues with wetness and snow permeating through.

Also, be careful with your crampons… I can't say that I endorse running with them. Many injuries and broken legs every year b/c of improper use. Sometimes it's b/c their points get caught on something, but their body wants to keep moving. Other times, the points get caught when they are trying to self arrest (remember to bend those knees!), and it actually flips them. Think body over bike handle bars b/c you slammed the front brake. Be careful out there!

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

Well until yesterday they where just small punctures, now i have a good 2" tear!!! I used some GT patch and fixed a couple punctures a couple weeks ago. I ended up not being happy with the GT patch as it irons on and started coming up after only one hike.

I would just buy the expedition crocs but i am cheap and these are brand new. Plus i figure if i can make em bomb proof myself i will much prefer that in the long long run?

Glad to hear that you are skinny and have no problems with the fit of the expedition crocs as i might end up in them? I am a size 11.5 and wanted them also for boot coverage reasons also. I wear the Nepal evos and the regular crocs fit fine in size medium.

I am gonna try and rig something up and if that does not work just upgrade to either the expedition crocs or something even more burly if they make em and i can find them?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools