Topic

Mexican washboard

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Mexican washboard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    larry pierce

@lpierc9

Locale: So. Cal.

I am curious about member experience riding washboard. I have found it most intimidating. What type of bike is best for tackling this obnoxious substance?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

29'er, full suspension, fast.
    Works for railroad beds as well.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

How fast is fast? I know in a truck, it has to be about 30 mph.

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

26" is fine, but don't consider riding unless you have front suspension. Otherwise you'll have numb hands and lose your mind. Full-suspension sucks if you suspect that you'll be riding on a variety of surfaces, from smooth to rough. Let out some air pressure, have wide-ish tires (>1.75") and just ride.

I spend 4 months touring through Mexico, and stuggled to find rough roads. Conditions are much better down there than expected. The toughest stuff I found was in Baja and Oaxaca. Rest is fancy paved roads, albeit oftentimes quiet and remote…

larry pierce

@lpierc9

Locale: So. Cal.

Thanks 2 all for ur replies. Yes, Baja is the place with the worst washboard. I want to ride Sanfelipe-Puertocitos-Coco's Corner-Mex 1, then flag down a bus for the return ride. They didn't even have 29r's last time I tried this Lol!

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

Nice route. The ride south from Puertecitos to Coco's Corner was one of the highlights of 5 months of Latin American riding for me last year.

have fun and pack light!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools