Topic

what size pot for melting snow (for 2)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) what size pot for melting snow (for 2)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Something like the oven pot parka would help with an upright canister stove below 20F.

Would heat up the canister (if the whole thing didn't blow up : )

I see you have a liquid feed stove so that isn't an issue for you

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

thanks

Doug- very interesting piece- definitely looks like it would quicken sow melt :) I see they make a 10" and 12" version, 4.5 and 5.3 oz respectfully- lighter than the MSR exchanger and looks it might be more efficient as well

Bob- that's a good tip, I'll definitely use that

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I am sorry Mike, I was out hiking. Didn't have to melt snow though, just an overnighter with the sled.

Yes I have the MSR heat exchanger and I let mine hang down about 1/2 inch. I use the XGK's dedicated wind screen though.

As far as melting stock I try to find a place where snow has drifted and packed and use my shovel to move big chunks over to my "snow kitchen". Then I just sit there and feed the pot.

One thing that Dave and I have done many times over the years to save time is to bring a Katadyn Hiker and filter the water as soon as I get a full pot melted rather than boil it. I keep the filter in my parka between uses and make sure to completely empty it afterwards.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Ray- no need to apologize for being out hiking :) good tip on the snow mound

how necessary is it to filter melted snow? I've always poured it through a coffee filter to take the "chunks" (pine needles, bugs, etc) out, but no filtering per se

I ended getting the "new" MSR Exo 2- it's a 2.4 ti pot w/ strainer lid (and built in folding handle) weight is stated at 9.2 oz complete, 7.75 x 4.75"- so decently wide- the "old" 2 liter MSR pot was 6.75 x 4"

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookware/expedition-cookware/exo-2-pot/product

I emailed MSR to see if their exchanger would fit (they state 2 liters for the exchanger) this pot, I'm going to first try my hand at a homemade ti setup though

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

It is probably not really necessary to be honest. As I am soloing in MN this winter I have decided to forgo it just because of how cold it is here.

But Dave is a worry-wort about his water. (Among other things ;-) So when hiking with him (my regular hiking partner) we just plan on it.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Mike, I don't know about Montana, but in California we do not bother to filter snowmelt except for the pine needles and big chunks. That applies to the main part of winter. In the springtime as backpacking season gets re-started, we will start out camping near some old snow, but the forest mammals have been there all winter. If their muddy little tracks and calling cards are seen, it would not be stupid to filter the snowmelt or else look for cleaner snow.

–B.G.–

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that makes sense- I've used coffee filters (pretty light :)) to "sift" the melted snow, which does the job pretty well

good point on tracks/animal activity- I agree, I'd be looking elsewhere if that was the case

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The snow problem that you really want to avoid is pink snow. In California, it tends to be common in the springtime when the natural snow melting process is underway. The sun is baking on the old snow, so a very thin layer of liquid water forms on the snow surface. Pine trees are dropping pine pollen. The pollen settles into the snow water, and an algae forms. It is pink when viewed from a distance. Up close, sometimes it has a faint smell of watermelon, so its nickname is Watermelon Snow. It doesn't look like much, but if you are drinking much snowmelt with that in it, it will cause you some "bowel distress." The pink watermelon snow tends to be only on the snow surface, though, so if you scrape off the top inch or two of snow and use the cleaner stuff underneath, you will be better off. The algae is not toxic, though, so it won't kill you.

–B.G.–

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ we've got that in Montana as well- like you said, spring (and even into summer) is when you see it- I've always avoided it, but it's nice to know why :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

got an email from Steve- he lost the exchanger on Makalu. He's thinking about making another and would take some pics if he did, I gave him titaniumgoats link to their foil which should be more than sufficient (and very light)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

wish i could say that … "oh … i lost it on makalu at 8000m or so"

lol

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools