Topic

Aluminum Tubing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Aluminum Tubing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

I've read in several threads about people using aluminum tubing for internal pack frames/stays. Where does a person buy this stuff? I'm particularly intrigued by the type of tubing mentioned in this article on backpacking-lite.co.uk. It mentions adding lengths of 6mm aluminum tuning to a pack to make a frame. If anyone knows of common places to find the 6mm stuff in the U.S. I'd love to hear from you. Thanks.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Arrow shafts seem to be pretty popular to use for pack stays. Not sure if they come 6mm (~1/4") but both carbon and aluminum are available.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

There are a couple of routes with this, finding the exact item at a premium or finding something similar for less.

In this case, to find aluminum tubing of an exact size, the place is mcmaster-carr or ebay. You will need to know what alloy you want, for something requiring real stiffness, something like 7075 or 6061. It sounds from the article that they were using some soft flexible tubing but if it's too soft, it may not provide support for very long.

The other way, finding something similar, I've heard of people using aluminum arrow shafts and kite shafts. These can be bought new at hunting stores, ebay or if you're lucky someone may have some for free, particularly if they're a little bent. Soft aluminum tubing might be available at the hardware store, but I usually only see copper iceline…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

polesforyou.com and questoutfitters.com sell aluminum tent poles

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

I've found regular stuff at true value. If you need better try http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=947&step=2&top_cat=60

questoutfitters is a good choice for 7075 from easton. You may need to glou a few pieces together to get it long enough.

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

There is a wide selection on ebay. If you don't find exactly what you're looking for there, send a message to one of the sellers that deals in things of that kind. I've found exactly what I wanted that way.

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

Has anybody here bought the hoop stay they sell at six moon designs for a myog pack? It looks like you can purchase it by itself.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I have.
    It's installed in my ULA Ohm.
    A 2.6 ounce weight gain.

Ohm AL Stay
    Very sweet.

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

Very cool. Thanks for the pictures. Hmmm… might have to add this as an option if I make my own pack in the new year…

but wait–is it installed in addition to the ula suspension? or instead of? Why'd you decide to use this hoop over the one it came with? (Never seen a ULA pack in person, sorry!)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

My Ohm mods can be found Here.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools