Topic

Waterproof breathable tents

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Waterproof breathable tents

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If one were to attempt an enclosed tent or cape incorporating WPB fabric, at least in part, would there be an area of the tent that it would be most beneficial, say at the crest of the roof, or at the floor line, or just directly over the sleeper?

Dwight

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Having used several w/b tents since 1979, my opinion runs like this: w/b materials work because of the difference in heat between the body and the outside air. Body heat raises the vapor pressure of the inside air. This works fine in a garment, but if your insulation is efficient, it works less well inside a tent. The w/b tent needs every square inch of surface area to hope to get moisture out before it condenses. Therefore the idea of a w/b area over the face, for example, won’t work too well. You will find that the area over your face will get condensation no matter what the tent canopy material is made of – even netting.
    I have never had a w/b tent that did not have condensation under certain conditions. Then again, I have never used any kind of tent that did not have condensation under certain conditions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools