Topic

Merino Wool by the Yard?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Merino Wool by the Yard?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brian Maier

@bmaier

I was thinking about making a Merino Wool Duvet cover for my Western Mountaineering Cloud 9 Comforter and was wondering if anyone had a source they would recommend? Anyone know the source of the wool BPL used to make their Beartooth merino wool hoody? Im still tossing this idea around, but figured it would be a relatively simple project.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Brian,

I went looking a couple of years ago and found that it was difficult to find merino by the yard. I wound up having to get it from Finland. Probably a consequence of merino's popularity; the manufacturers buy up whatever is available. I'll look for the link but you might be able to find it in an earlier post here.

Richard

PS – Shelby (the second link in the next posting) is what I used.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast
    Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England
    Val C

@goosebumps

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for —

http://www.bblackandsons.com/fabrics-wool-coating-fabric-c-68_74.html

I think wool suiting is lighter weight.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Most fine wool fabric is Merino. It is not advertised as such because everyone in the trade knows what it is. You just don't make wool fabric from coarse non-Merino wool these days.

So any good fabric shop selling good wool fabric will be able to supply you. However, don't ask them for 'merino' wool – they probably won't know what you are talking about.

Cheers
    (27 years in the textile research game, mainly with wool)

Brian Maier

@bmaier

Thanks for the links and the advise. They are much appreciated.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Have you considered a thrift store? You can often find quality wool summer-weight wool suits or sportcoats that are made of merino that you could butcher and re-purpose. This would probably save $, could have a great look, and be good enviro stewardship.

Laural Bourque

@lauralbaby

Locale: PNW
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools