Topic

Elastic Down Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Elastic Down Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

Situation:

You have a down jacket that is too large for you, mainly too wide.

Solution?
    Take some thin shock cord or elastic and sew it into the inner fabric of the jacket, making 3-4 loops around to pull the jacket into you.
    Seems like this could be warmer than a properly sized jacket?

I'm totally sold on the NB Fugu jacket, but can only find an XL while I'm definitely a large.

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

Locale: mid

interesting.

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Good idea! I've been thinking about making a pullover out of a too big jacket.
    Cut out the zipper and sew the raw edges together, should tighten it by about 2 inches and drop weight!

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Tyler, would you be cutting off the sippers and sewing the "stubs" together, which would leave a cold spot in the middle, or trying to attach the baffles on the two sides?

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

i was thinking about that…first off, before cutting out the zipper, i would sew a line sealing up the insulation right next to the zipper. Then i guess i would fold the edges in and sew a simple seam with the jacket inside out. It might not look great from either side but i think it will work.

Now i just have to find the right size jacket to experiment with :)

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Tyler, sounds like a trip to the thrift store might have you sorted out.

anybody with sewing experience care to help me with an uneducated question?
    If I were going to be trying to attach a thin shocked to the inside of the jacket, what would be the best method? I was thinking about sewing through the cord, and then trying to thread through the stitching of the jacket, so as not to make any new holes in the fabric, which I assume could let down escape.

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

One last plea for a sewing lady or gentleman to tell me if this is a feasible idea or not!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools