Topic

Mountain Laurel Designs Funky Proto Sale 2010

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Mountain Laurel Designs Funky Proto Sale 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Undoubtedly many of you guys heard about the big prototype sale Ron Bell had going on today over at the MLD Facebook group site, if you didn't then you missed a Geargasm of the fifth degree. Interested to hear some thoughts on some of the one of a kind items you may have picked up. Ron was selling off 20 different and unique items ranging from a cuben Newt proto to a Bigstar proto Trailstar w/ 30% more coverage.

What did you get if you were fast enough to buy anything?

I believe Ben Smith of Goosefeet won the massive "MLD Circus Tent", a 6x9x16' twin peaked/vented, yellow silny, 8+- person Mid style shelter. I wanna see a picture of that carport… I mean shelter when it comes in!

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

As someone who isn't interested in facebook, bookface, fookbace, twister. tweeter, etc, i'm pretty pi$$ed off that a customer who has spent a fair few $$ over the years at MLD missed out on this.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

The sale was actually fun. Would love to see some pic's of the newt!

(FWIW, I didn't have an account or any experience w/facebook. I found it very easy to get setup and be involved in this sale and can always shut down the account now that it's over.)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Here's a list of the proto/blemished/one of a kind items sold during the sale:

1- DuoMid Winter Inner Tent Proto- 30d nylon sides- About 15oz- $40

2- Thing – proto – some mesh on the panels front and back- maybe better for a small/med neck size $20

3- TrailStar- gray- a couple very small needle pricks or tears on the panels- one so small I saw it once and now can’t find it to fix- user would need to SilNet patch one or two spots – other than that like new and ready to go- $80

4- Solo Mid Winter Inner Tent Proto- 30d nylon sides- About 12oz- $40

5- Grace Cuben Duo Tarp- New – one tiny .5” small tear at far side edge- perfectly repaired- $150

6- Early TrailStar Proto- seam sealed- Gray Silnylon – functional- not pretty- $30

7- Gray Pro Poncho- New- two small 1/8” snags near hood- easy to patch- $60

8- Spirit 30 Proto Quilt- Size Sm/Med- Proto for Andrew Skurka – Blue Momentum – a bit too small for him- closed foot and below knee- His studly body has touched it to check for size indoors only- bascially new – for someone under 5’9” and about 155lbs with under size 9 mens foot. $80

9- BigStar Proto Tarp- gray Silnylon – A 30% larger TrailStar. Angles are not quite the same proportions as the TS – but pretty close- $30

10- Thing #2 – proto – maybe better for a smaller neck size- $20

11- SoloMid Proto- yellow- different top vent style – on rear of mid at top- not as good as the newest vent but OK- could be sewn closed if desired. $40

12- Proto two pole Mid- like a twin peaks or golite shangra la 6- MULTI COLORED- really funky- about 8 ‘ X 10’- dual vents $ 60

13- Proto two pole Mid- the 2011 Circus Tent ™ – like a super giant twin peaks or golite shangra la 8+- Yellow- really big- 6’ tall – about 9 ‘ X 16’- dual vents – pretty close to production quality- $ 100

14- Duo InnerNet- gray floor- odd zipper placement angle- does not open as far as normal but very Ok to use- more of a vertical zip that does not go over to the right very far. May be slighty shorter in length than a reg one- $30

‎15 – Duo InnerNet -Yellow floor- pretty good overall- zipper goes down and to the left- opposite from reg one -New- $60

16- Early DuoMid Proto- Gray Silnylon- small vent- fewer tieouts and fewer little features- seam sealed- $30.

17- Proto Bivy Sack- sort of like the SuperLight- brown momentum top- all net head section- Spintex EXP bottom- very light weight- horizontal zip- simple seamed foot (no eVent) New- not for anyone over 5’9”- $30

18- Proto Cuben pack- like a Newt with a rear cuben single pocket- roll top- 1.5oz tougher cuben- minimal features – about 5 oz- 30

19 –Proto Solo InnerNet- Brown Sil floor- pretty good – new – $50

Drumroll…….

20- Two proto hammocks nets set – about 5 – 7oz ea – slips over the whole hammock like a sock and closes on each end- one for a smaller hammock ( kid or small adult) other one for a reg med adult solo hammock- nanoseeum netting – $30

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Not feckin interested! :(

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Sorry Mike, then simply ignore this thread. Some people might be interested out of pure curiosity. Whether or not you picked anything up, there are some interesting items listed that made me scratch my head.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Only kidding Eugene.
    I'm just annoyed that i knew nothing about it, despite being a good MLD customer.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

I learned about it with Ron post on BPL forum.
    I even created a facebook profile to attend it !
    I was secretly hoping for an inner net between the duo and supermid to fit in my shangri la 5, 2 people on one side one on the other side of the pole :p
    Waiting for this unlikely item, made me resist trying my luck on those proposed….

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Any Pictures? I'd love to see some of them.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

FWIW, I didn't end up with the Circus Tent…

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I got #17. Hope I'm not too tall. Really wanted the Circus Tent.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

When I tried to sign up for facebook, I kept getting this error message:

"We are unable to process your request at this time. It appears that you do not meet the age qualifications, or are simply not cool enough."

Of course, if any of this stuff doesn't work out for anyone, there is always the Gear Swap to pass on the love ;)

Photos of any of these would be great.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'm amazed at those dirt cheap prices. I didn't realize it would be this great of a sale. $30 for a Cuben Newt is insane.

James Arriola
    BPL Member

@ravs4fun

Locale: Desert Southwest

I guess that I will have to wait for somebody to sell the items that they don't want in the gear swap. It was a shark frenzy on facebook. Crazy.

James

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Somehow I won the prototype cuben newt from Ron's Facebook sale. Thought some of you would like to see pics!

MLD funky prototype cuben newt (front)

MLD funky prototype cuben newt (side)

MLD funky prototype cuben newt (back)

Not sure of the volume or weight. I stuffed it with two sleeping bags and a Tarptent Double Rainbow in these pictures. Below is a picture of top closure unrolled. It closes with two black snaps, which actually sort of look like newt eyes to me.

MLD funky prototype cuben newt (unrolled)

The top can be cinched down using a very primitive (or sophisticated) drawstring system.

MLD funky prototype cuben newt (drawstring)

The front pocket is the only other feature on the pack and is fairly roomy.

MLD funky prototype cuben newt (pocket)

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

Thanks for posting. What's it weigh?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Awesome pack Chris, very simple little ruck.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Bummed that I missed out… How about all of us working folk who can't access facebook from work? Especially if the prices are true, I'll have to see what all I missed when I get home. *pouts*

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

I just saw this. Thanks for posting pics of the cuben newt. I was rather curious about it.

I'm the proud owner of item #3. :)

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

I'm already waiting for the 2011 sale. To answer the question above, I don't have a scale here at home so not sure about the exact weight. Handful of ounces at most.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools