Topic

Bivy/Pad Combinations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bivy/Pad Combinations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Marc Mensing

@soldierspike

Locale: Southwest

I'm in need of a new bivy, as my current one weighs 36ozs, and don't want to have to change out my sleeping pad as well.
    I'm using a ThermArest Prolite regular as a pad.
    The bivies I've been looking at are:
    MLD Superlight
    BPL Vapr
    TiGoat Ptarmigan

Thanks,
    Marc

Alexander L
    BPL Member

@lexeverything

Locale: Joshua Tree

Add the Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy to your list of considerations. His gear is getting excellent reviews… and most of his offerings are in stock and ready to ship.

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

I would suggest the TiGoat Ptarmigan. Some people have complained that its not roomy enough for a full pad but i don't use a full pad anyways. Plus, less expensive then others for similar weight.

jeffrey bennett
    Spectator

@jollygreen

Locale: Near the bottom

I have both the ptarmigan and the Omni zip. I did have some room issues with the ptarmigan and a 78×20 big anges aircore. Once I switched to a 60×20 clearview there was plenty of room. I just got the omni zip and passed down the ptarmigan to my son. The Omni zip is perfect for a long pad. I just used it with the Big anges 78×20, Benders Jollygreen pillow and a homemade 5oz xp quilt and it was perfect. I do not own the Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy but I can say that Katabatic gear makes an awesome Quilt and I am sure the quality on the bivy is top notch.

My son used a 15 degree mummy bag and a ridgerest last week in the ptarmigan and had plent of room.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

BPL Vapr is pretty cool IMO.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I have a tigoat bivy and love it. You've got some great choices though. Im sure you'd be happy with any of them. I love a bivy with a full net hood.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools