Topic

Long or Regular Sleeping Bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Long or Regular Sleeping Bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    B. F.
    BPL Member

@bradly

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to get a SummerLite for Christmas, but I'm not sure what size to get. I think I'm about 6'1'' which is obv taller than the 6'0'' regular, but is it necessary to get the long? I'd prefer to save the weight and money, but don't want to waste my money either. Unfortunately, there are no SummerLites at any stores in my area to try out. What do you all think?

Thanks!
    Bradly

Michael Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@michaeldr

Locale: Southeast

I have a Summerlite long and I am 6'1". I tried both a regular and long and a regular was was too short for me. With a regular my feet were at the end of the bag. I think you would be unhappy with the regular.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

For a summer bag I'd say you can probably get away with the regular without having any comfort issues. If you are planning on using the bag in cooler temperatures Id suggest getting the long so you can comfortably cover your head with your bag. I got the regular length on my quilt and after using it in the cold I wish I had some extra length to cover my head on the extra cold and/or breezy nights.

Arno Minner
    BPL Member

@arno5

Locale: Bavarian Alps

I'm 180cm (5'11") and for me the long one would have been better than the regular one. When it is cold and I close the hood my feet start to compress the downs in the footbox.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Bradley, get a Long. I have one for sale on the gear swap Summerlite

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Go long…

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

you can always put some items down there to take up space if you find it's a little too much but if it's too short you're screwed

Charlie Schaezlein

@cschaez

Locale: Orange County

definitely. its an extra $15 and 2 oz, but you'll be much happier with the extra space.

I'm 5'11" and recently switched out my WM regular for a long, don't regret it one bit

Chris H
    BPL Member

@nxp

Locale: Upper Midwest

I'm 6,0 and made the mistake of buying one regular bag (the rest are all longs) in hopes of saving some weight. Looking back, I should have gotten the long – it's worth it.

Now I just need to replace that one with a quilt. :)

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

If you sleep on your side and somewhat curled up, a regular might work. Otherwise, definitely get a long.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools