Topic

O2 Rainshield Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) O2 Rainshield Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Robin McKay
    Spectator

@rlmckay

Locale: Wanaka NZ

Am I on to something here? Just discovered O2 Rainshield wet weather jackets (5.7oz- 162gms) and Pants (4.15oz – 118gms). The set at $49.95!!! The weight, price and testimonials on the website seem too good to be true. Anybody had any experience with this gear?

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Used a set for years and about 900 miles of AT…work great…repairs easy with duct tape…Consider Dri Ducks for another color option.

Pan

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

True enough, Jack. I used a set for three years on PCT section hikes. Handled the Sierra afternoon cloudburst well. For short term, intermittent use, they are great.

That said, I would NOT take it into northern Washington, or anyplace else where you can get days on end of wind-driven cold rains. The O2 material is simply not durable enough to withstand constant abrasion from packstraps and brush. The pants are especially prone to splitting at the crotch seam. Wise is he (or she) who goes up one size on their pants.

Wandering Bob

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The non-woven material is fragile. IMHO, given how fragile they are, you may as well buy cheaper ones (but equally light and waterproof/breathable) like DriDucks or Micropore.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/drop_stoppers_rain_gear.html

These jackets and rainpants are superb UL options. However, they shouldn’t be your only rain gear option. Know their limitations and use them appropriately.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I spent 3 solid days in March in a rainstorm in Point Reyes, and I was in my 02 rainsheild suite the whole time.
    In March there was a lot of growth over and around the trail, but I only got a small rip in the pant leg.
    Breathability and waterproofness were great.
    Only real complaint was no brim, so water was streaming down my face (next time, bring a hat).
    Overall, I definitly would recomend them.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Don’t wear a hat. Rain will likely work its way through the collar of the rain jacket — not to mention pooling into the unused hood. Instead, wear a cap to serve as ‘visor”, but still allowing you to put on the hood.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I bought an 02 jacket/pants a few years ago and recently bought a Drop Stoppers jacket. They are very similar; very light, breathable, waterproof and very, very fragile. I recommend you take it off if you are travelling in a brushy area (one sharp branch can puncture it). For the price and durability, they are almost disposable. I prefer the tweety bird yellow of the 02 over the drab grey of the Drop Stoppers, but not enough to pay the extra money.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ross:

I have a set of DriDucks. The style and cutting are horrible — just like the Drop Stoppers. However, the color is an OK khaki.

Looking at the BPL store’s website, I always thought the Drop Stoppers have the same khaki color as well. But are they actually “drab grey” in reality?

Antonio Abad

@tonyabad

I’ve had the jacket for 2 years now. It has surpassed my expectations. If you’re staying on the trail and can stand a little babying, then it should be plenty durable. I’ve used it in all seasons and it survived a winter hike up Mt. Washington just fine. I haven’t had any functional problems with abrasion from pack straps. My 2 recommendations:

-Go up 1 size (to guarantee a loose fit around the shoulders).
    -Add a couple of cheap cordlocks so that you can make a good seal with the hood.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Oops, I stand corrected (I have no memory for colors). They are khaki, not grey. In my opinion it is a boring, drab color. I wouldn’t mind a T-shirt or pair of pants in that color, but it makes it hard to see from a distance (especially if it is raining or foggy). This is kind of a pain at times and could be a real problem in an emergency situation. Then again, some people might not like looking like a giant duck either (as with the O2) :)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I see. Khaki it is. Thanks for clarifying!

Robin McKay
    Spectator

@rlmckay

Locale: Wanaka NZ

Thanks guys – great help – I managed to contact Adam (the “big Cheese” ) at O2, Here is what he said (note he is very honest re duribility….
    Our garment, outside of eVENT, is the most breathable garment on the market to our knowledge.  It is over 10,000 MVT, and the US Gov’t has tested it to be this way.  It is also 100% waterproof, its a membrane, not a coating.  The big issue with our gear vs. Marmot or others, is our garments are made from nonwoven spunbound fibers.  The garment’s membrane is on the outside of the jacket and a spider-web like fabric is the interior.  It is extremely lightweight, waterproof, breathable, and compact, but it lacks in DURABILITY.  It is intended for walking/biking/hiking/running/fishing etc…  It is not made for an environment that it could snag or get roughed up, as it would tear thru the membrane.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I have several of the O2 products. I was even able to get 11 yards of two different colors of the material when 3M was still making it. 3M called it Propore(TM). It is really great stuff but not real strong as has been stated. The yellow and white Fabric is about 2.37oz per sq yard.

The yellow and a white color were the light weight material. They also made a dark blue that was a little heavier. I have some yardage in the the blue also. I didn’t record the weight of the blue.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Robin:

Agree, and that goes back to my view all along that given the same lack of durability, lack of style, etc. — but same great breathability and waterproofness — you may as well get the cheapest version — the Micropore at BPL. When it rips (and it will and perhaps sooner than you think) — you will kick yourself less.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools