Topic

FBC for a picky eater?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition FBC for a picky eater?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

So I eat a lot. But the issue is that 1.) it weighs a lot and 2.) I don't eat a lot.

I have only really had MH type meals but have been disappointed with the low calorie counts for the foods that I like. I really want to try FBC but the issue is that looking through the dinner recipies listed one trail cooking I have found MAYBE 3 in 8 pages that I might eat. One big issue is that I don't do spicy and I dont do fish. The three that I have found were the pizza rice–not sure if I will like it or not; the mac and cheese–easy enough, who doesn't like that? and the mashed potato burrito, but I am not sure that the burrito will have enough calories. Can i work olive oil in it somehow to increase them?

The only warm meal a day I do is dinner so I try to make it as good as possible. I tend to bring large lunches (probably about 1000 calories) But I count snacks as part of my "lunch". Breakfast is just a pro-bar (I swear if you planted one you would have a garden) and some gorp usually.

Any suggestions of really generic FBC meals? Something that "everyone" will like?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

To be honest the meals in our book are just that: aimed at the masses. The recipes on the website are where I have fun – so not for everyone.

Remember as well….you can always take a recipe and alter it to your liking – take out spices, not hot stuff, use chicken versus tuna, that kind of thing.

The key on calories is add in more – for example the mashed potato burritos do have good calorie counts (when you buy flour tortillas read the back, you will be shocked.) Two flour tortillas, 2 ounces of cheddar or cojack cheese, the mashers and yes, add oil or butter and you have a porky meal.

My advice is add fat when you can, eat breads to fill you up as needed (tortillas as mentioned or bagels) and add nuts to meals as well for more fat.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

So the only question that I have about the recipes is about how much water to add/subtract for removing freeze dried ingredients. Just guestimate it?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

1:1 ratio in most cases. So if you take away 1 Tbsp dried bell peppers, lower the water by that – but as well you can always sub in something else equally that sounds good! And overall you can be a little over on the water on most meals (a Tbsp or two). I normally carry shelf stable Parmesan cheese for that issue – a little extra water, dump in some cheese and it thickens up – and you get extra calories.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools