Topic

Aqua Mira tip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Aqua Mira tip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Hey all,

There is something I’ve been doing for a while that I thought might be a nice tip. I use Aqua Mira… and one thing I always found to be a pain was trying to find a nice level spot to put my tiny mixing cup… and always being paranoid that it was going to get knocked over… and not being able to start hiking again (if I wanted to) until the 5 min. reaction time was up… unless I wanted to walk along with the tiny cup in my hand… thumb sealed over top. You get the idea. So I got the idea to mix the chemicals in a contact lens case. Tiny… lightweight… waterproof. So now… I add the drops… close the contact lens case… and if I want to… I can just stick it my my shirt pocket… fill up my water containers… and keep on walking… stop by a tree 5 mins. or so later… dump in the solution… and keep on walking. I don’t have to worry about knocking it over… and I can even grab water and keep on hiking if I want.

BTW… I’ve tried Klearwater… but I didn’t like it. I don’t like that is has a shelf life… and a few times I discovered that, while it was nice a yellow on my hike… it would be clear by the time I got home… and it would have to be thrown out :(

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good idea about the contact lens case!

Now, I wonder why the KlearWater would turn clear so quickly? If I remember correctly, the stuff needs to be stored away from light (hence, the brown color bottle). Might that be the problem?

Separately, if you are interested in skipping the 5-min. measuring and premixing routine, then give Katadyn tablets a try. It’s basically the same stuff and efficacy — but in solid form and much easier to use! The packaging is extremely light and compact, and it’s an easy thing to rip one open and drop it into a quart or liter size bottle.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I actually use the .25 oz. Mini-Vial sold on this site to mix my AM… It works well for any size bag. I find it easy to hold the vial and fill each part from its mini-dropper.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools