I’m planning an epic trip spanning multiple continents, but I want to limit my environmental damage along the way. I intending on carrying a Digital SLR, a portable harddrive like the Photobank and possibly a PDA, so my question is this:
has anyone had any positive experiences with Solar chargers for long distance hauls? A cursory google of the net revealed the Solio (156g 5.6oz) and the Sunlinq (smallest model 200g, 7.2oz). I’ve read a couple of reviews, but nothing resembling the depth of BPL gearheads.
I could possibly pack a spare battery for the camera for 41g, but that still doesn’t resolve needing to charge the Photobank and the PDA. I could also just scavenge for power along the way – if my devices are dead, tough luck for me. However, I’m not super interested in packing a planet’s worth of adapters and I don’t want to fry any of the hardware.
On top of that, I like the idea of environmentally friendly travel. So, what are my solar charger options?

