Topic

MSR Lightning Ascent – Opinions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MSR Lightning Ascent – Opinions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

I weigh about 185lbs. I don't ever see my winter gear getting much over 30lbs. Including food and water. Do you guys think I should get the 25 or 30 model?

I'm pretty much settled on this model, but I'm willing to consider others.

Thanks.

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

you can buy the lightning ascent 25 with the adaptable tails

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Juston,

Last year I got the 30" Lightning Ascent model B/C there were no tails available and also my Atlas 'shoes were 30". That's generally the next-to-the-longest length, which is 36" in some brands.

As a backcountry skier, being used to having long things attatched to my feet, I have no problem with adding even a tail to my older model and if I can Jerry rig it somehow I'll get them this year.

I'd go with 30" AND tails. You and I weigh the same and, believe me, 'shoes don't give you nearly the support backcountry skis do. The longer the better. You'll soon be at ease with 30" 'shoes, even with the added tails in powdery snow.

The Lightning Ascent 'shoes are the very best for grip of any 'shoes on the market and the flip up heel lift is great on long uphills – it saves your calves.

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

I have last years lightning ascents 25". They work pretty good. Took them out yesterday, unfortunately there was like 2 foot of powder and so breaking trail was not fun. The snow is usually not nearly as powdery so wont be that bad most of the time.

In other words I think it sort of depends on your typical snow conditions.

They do grip really well as mentioned.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Juston,

Which revolves around what snow you anticipate the most. I try to get away with the smallest, lightest shoe possible because extra weight and size have me fatigued sooner and tripping more often (big shoes are clumsy).

I have the shorter Lightning Ascents (a couple model iterations old by now) and they're fine for typical westside Sierra cement (175 + 15-25 lbs load). I will sink in powder, but that doesn't happen to me very often :-)

Cheers,

Rick

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Juston,
    I have the MSR Denali evo ascent which are 22" and I also have 6" tails for a total of 28" Even the straight 22" are fine for late season "Sierra Cement" which I often go through but the 28" are not sufficient for light powder and I'm packed out about your weight. Not sure if the Denali's and Lightnings have comparable floatation but if they do then I would lean toward the 30" if you will be hitting powder.

Also, if you have a trip and want to try out my Denalis let me know.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools