Topic

Vermont Winter Clothing? help!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Vermont Winter Clothing? help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

I'm heading up to Mt. Mansfield in Vermont in a few weeks to spend a few days snowshoeing, and I'd like to hear some opinions on clothing, both for when active and when resting/in camp. Weather during the day will likely be in the single digits and teens without windchill, and the potential for lots of wind. At night I'm planning to stay in shelters, and temps likely in the low single digits. For snowshoeing, here is what I'm thinking I'll be wearing:

top:
    rab aeon l/s shirt
    maybe smartwool l/s shirt (unknown weight)
    100wt fleece pullover
    houdini

bottom:
    thin smartwool longjohns
    nols windpants

other:
    wool hat
    ski goggles
    windstopper gloves

For footwear I just ordered a pair of 40 below light energy overboots, paired with some think wool socks.

Questions: should I be trying out a vbl sock? I'll be out for three days at most at a time.
    I'm thinking I should track down a balaclava in addition to the hat, and I might want to find some warmer gloves to wear during the day, or at least more windproof gloves. Top and bottom layers look good for when moving? I'm thinking I should carry a full rain suit for when it really starts blowing? Like 35-40mph.

When in camp and stopping, I'm not so sure. I have a pair of fleece pants that I'll bring. I have an oldish synthetic MH jacket, which I think has some sort of primaloft in it, but I cut the tags off. I don't think it would be suitable, and I'm in the market for a puffy jacket.
    The NB Fugu looks like a good deal, and according to richard's charts is quite warm, but they are hard to find, the only place I can find them (recreation outlet) has them in large short, large, and large. I'm 170-75lbs and 6'2" anybody of a similar build have a comment on the sizing?

Any and all comments, advice, etc is welcome.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

your on the move stuff looks great- give us a report on the 40below overboots- I'm looking at those :) what shoes are you wearing w/ them?

I think the Houdini will do fine w/ the wind (I've had mine in 60+ winds!)- rain jacket only if rain is in the forecast (which probably isn't likely :))

I'd say balaclava for sure

my hand recipe is a light glove liner, then OR Endeavor overmitts- also thrown in are a pair of PL400 (fleece) mitts for good measure

bottoms- a pair heavy fleece pants w/ your base layer and windpants might be enough, personally I'm going to spring for a pair of down pants this winter

puffy- no idea on sizing on the Fugu, the Alpine Light (warm) and Frost Line (warmer) are probably worth looking at as well

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

I went out snowshoeing today at mt rainier and found out the following. Unfortunately it was only down to like 25 so not as cold as where your going but maybe something to bounce off of. It was fairly windy a good chunk of the time and I wore:

200wt icebreaker long john top
    microfleece vest
    I was fairly warm unless we stopped, then i used a thermawrap. Started out with a rainjacket on top of my vest but way too hot

Bottoms
    200wt icebreaker long john bottom
    soft shell pants
    rain pants
    fairly warm

Started out with windproof fleece gloves and OR endeavour mitts, way too warm after like 20min. Had a 100wt fleece beany on part of the time, always when windy.

I think balaclave would be very important in your temps, especially if windy.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I think you'd need a VB sock, even for a dayhike.

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

I don't know enough about the NOLS windpants, but if that's all they are, I think you may find your legs uncomfortable. For one, since they're likely water resistant only, with the wet snow of Vermont I think your legs may well get wet, just from brushing against the snow on the trees along the trail. Most people I hike with in the Adirondacks (similar conditions) are using some sort of softshell pant…whether or not you still need the long johns under that depends on how heavy the pants are, and how cold you normally get. I picked up a pair Stoic pants from SteepandCheap last year and they've been fantastic…

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

Thanks for the comments guys,

Mike: not sure about the shoes, maybe a pair of inov-8 f-lite 220s, because those seem to be my best sneaker. I also have a pair of sheepskin slippers that I will definitely try out and might use. They would be much warmer and more accommodating of layers.

your puffy recommendations are both more expensive, heavier, and seem to be less warm. However, I'll take a look if I can't find a fugue that fits.

Andy: I'll start trying to find some good plastic bags to test out.

Scott: Thanks for the advice about pants. The NOLS windpants are indeed just that. The overboots should have me covered to knee height, but you raise a good point about snow on trees. I might be doing some off-trail traveling so thats a concern. If I can find a killer deal on a pair I might try them out, otherwise I might just use rainpants or something else.

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

These are the ones I picked up last year – on SteepAndCheap, they were half price, and I did see them again last week.

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-tour-softshell-pant-mens

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools