Topic

New Years snow trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips New Years snow trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I am plannig a trip up to Dewey Point the weekend of Jan 1st any and all are welcome, just post here if you would like to go, and hopefully the weather holds.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Jack, I cleaned out my emails and lost yours. Since your pm's don't get to you, email me once again please.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

I talked to Jack a couple week ago but I am still in baring a severe winter storm. Jack, what would it take to get some of those blueberry pancakes New Years Morning? I'll purchase/carry anything you need!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

We may have to postpone the trip till the weekend after, it depends on if I can get some work done before next weekend. I have a lawn bussiness on the weekends and I have'nt been able to do them, and if I can't do them tomorrow I will have to do them next weekend, or try and do them before work at my regular job, but with all the rain forcasted this week I not sure that's going to be possible either, I'll keep you guys posted.

@David
    Blueberry pancakes it is, if we can make a go of it.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Kat did you get my email?

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Jack,

I'll be heading up out of Fresno so if you want to carpool, I can drive from Fresno to the trailhead.

I hope Kat, Jack and anyone else who is interested can attend.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

David do you have 4×4 or chains, do we need them? Looks like the weather is holding out this morning, I'm going to try to got to work, let you know when I get done.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I received your email, Jack. Is it still happening this coming weekend or next? I am still down south in Claremont right now, driving back tomorrow, working 28, 29th and new Year's Eve. I'll know by tomorrow.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Got my work done WHOOO HOOOO!!! SO I'm good for next weekend the 1st-2nd of Jan. Can't wait to try out my new boots and sleeping bag.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Can anyone remember what I used for the blueberrys? freezed dried, or something else? I can't remember. Lets plan on an earily start Sat. morning, we can meet up at David's parents house in Fresno around 6:00 a.m.? then head out to Badger to get the permit, then to the trail head, try to be at camp by noon. I will bring my big 6 liter platy to put the boiled water in for everybody, a snow shovel, and the rest of my winter gear. Do you guys want to cook a group meal that night?, or just prepare seperate meals like usuall. Should we bring bear canisters? Kat are you bringing a hammock or a tent? David do you know if we can have a fire there, if we can find wood to burn? If you guys have any ideas let me know so we can try to get this hammered out by Thurs. If there are only 3-4 of us we can car pool from David's parents house and split the cost.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"…then head out to Badger to get the permit, then to the trail head, try to be at camp by noon."

Guys, Badger Pass _is_ the trail head. The A-frame ranger station is next to the downhill ski area, and the trail head is at the top of the first row of the parking lot. That is also where the only permitted overnight parking is.

I don't think you are going to have much of a fire. For one thing, there is a bunch of snow on the ground, so twigs are going to be frozen and buried underneath that. You are not allowed to break anything off standing trees. So, the only good fire would be one that you carry in materials for. In the old days, we used to carry in a Pine Mountain Fire Log for that purpose. Actually, I think they make more light than heat.

When you start out from Badger, you go up the unplowed Glacier Point Road for about one mile. Then there is a trail going off to the left (uphill) that is a more advanced ski trail (the hill trail). If you continue out the road another quarter mile or so, there is another trail to the left(the meadow trail) that is much easier. The two trails merge a couple of miles out toward Dewey Point, and that is about where there is some tricky terrain. There is a killer view when you get all the way out there. I recommend that you do not camp directly at Dewey Point. For one thing, if any rangers come out there, they will be nosing around looking for violators of regulations. If you camp a little bit up the hill (west) from there, you will be out of the way a bit, yet you will be only two or three minutes from Dewey Point.

–B.G.–

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Thanks Bob. I wasn't sure if you could break off branches or not to make a fire, and I'm sure not going to carry it in. If this is bear canister territory do we need it in the winter time? I don't expect we will encounter any bears, but if we see a Ranger he might give us a citation for not having one, don't need that to ruin our weekenk. Do you know the mileage from Badger to Dewey Point? Thanks Jack

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Badger Pass to Dewey Point is 3.5 miles via the (easier) Meadow Trail.

Put it this way. I've been skiing around there for over 30 years, and I have never seen a bear canister during the winter. For that matter, I have never seen a black bear during the winter, although they could be around. Any self-respecting bear is going to head down to Yosemite Valley where the pickin's are easier.

–B.G.–

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools