Topic

Best bang for the buck solo shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best bang for the buck solo shelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Eli .

@feileung

What do you think the best "Bang for the Buck" solo shelter is right now?

tommy d

@vinovampire

Well, if my deadbeat friends are any guide, I guess I'd have to say: your parent's basement…

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

There are so many, it would be hard to say without zeroing in on a few requirements, lightest, most usable space, vestibule,pitching,built in bug protection etc…….

I like my TT Rainbow, good amount of space, free-standing,(with treking poles) good headroom and vestibule space.

My 2nd choice is a MLD Grace Duo Spinntex tarp, with and without the MLD Serenity shelter.

Had a TT Contrail and liked it a lot too.

Eli .

@feileung

@TommyD: Should have specified for backpacking, not video gaming and pot smoking;)

@Michael
    : I guess I had "balance" in mind, whatever that means. For me, personally, I'd want a tent that was as light as possible but that offered enough space for my long bag and a vestibule (or inner space) for my backpack and some bug protection.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

One suggestion is what I use. I have a Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter. It might be big enough for two skinny people, but I consider it to be a roomy one-person. Mine is a couple of years old now, so I used it for two weeks in Alaska this year.

I added Fibraplex CF poles to mine, since I don't use any trekking poles.

–B.G.–

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

If I were buying a solo shelter today it would be an MLD Speedmid or Duomid…Likely the Speedmid, as I'm not worried about a large footprint.

While not a true "1 man" tent…$185 for an 18oz, 8.5 x 8.5 ft storm-worthy palace is a great deal in my opinion. You can fit a few people, sit upright/kneel/squat easily when getting dressed, get in with your muddy shoes on, quick setup in foul weather without worrying about soaking the inside, fit tons of gear, and never have to rub up on wet walls, all for less weight than a Tarptent Contrail (Had one, too claustrophobic in prolonged storms). I'm not into small, tight, clammy, condensation-prone 1 man tents…I thinks mids are the way to go.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

It's hard to beat the blue tarp for value. If weight is really important, then George's (end2endtrailsupply) tarp is a great value at $90 with tie out loops (not grommets), 10'x10' of space and 18.5 ounces. Appy Trails is a great value too, but their shelters are HUGE.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

MLD Trailstar.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

I'd go with my Oware 9 oz. 6×8 tarp at $76 and the 6 oz. drawstring bivy at $99.

Inner Point Camp

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

It depends on your priorities and where you are going to use it but I just voted with my wallet today for a Tarp Tent Sublite.

Uses trekking poles but 19-20oz for a single person abode $179 plus the UPS man.

I like supporting cottage industry guys in the USA too so that is a bonus.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Another vote for the mld trailstar. Loads of space and very versatile.

Eli .

@feileung

@Joseph That does seem like a good combo. The Oware web site makes me want to gouge my eyes out though. Oh, I browsed your pics a bit. I really like this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/umnak/4264521579/in/photostream/

@KevinH
    Where do you plan to use your tyvek Sublite? Have you used a tyvek shelter before? I was considering that model but in silnylon.

Mike Sobr

@breeze

Locale: Southeaster

If you are really on a budget and don't mind carrying some extra weight the venerable Eureka Spitfire Solo tent can often be found on Ebay for around $75. or so and it is a bulletproof shelter that was state of the art not long ago. Great ventilation, easy set-up and bone dry in any weather.
    They have a newer so-called ultralight version to replace it with but the older one is loads cheaper and better designed for just a small weight penalty.
    There are definately lighter tents out there but if your budget calls for some compromise this could help out.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Pretty much all my hikes these days are in the Olympics. I have a family and a business so I have to get my fix on long weekends.

I'm not aware of another Tyvek tent let alone have I tried one. I'm in the perpetually wet PNW but it drizzles a lot here…. not much driving rain. I hike year around but most of my use is in the summer when we actually have excellent conditions (don't tell anyone).

I'd also concur with Mike. That Eureka tent will be just fine for most general backpacking and at $80 for that perfectly crafted Chinese domicile it is hard to beat if you are on a Ramen budget and don't mind the 3lb carry weight.

Eli .

@feileung

I seriously considered the Spitfire but I guess I'm looking for a more….modern(?) shelter. I also like the idea of buying from the cottage industry suppliers.

@Kevin
    I'm from OR and spent the last 10 years before moving to SF in Portland. Whenever somebody mentions the rain I always nod then follow with "but nobody beats our summers". The tyvek is tempting but I have no experience w/that material and I think I'd have a hard time relaxing in the rain.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Picking a tent is like picking a wife. They all come with their own set of compromises.

I'm sure it will be fine. All I care about is keeping my bag relatively dry and in my experience condensation is a bigger issue than rain. If it is raining so hard that it is coming through the walls of the tent I'm probably not going to be sleeping much anyway. I'll throw a trash bag or two over me and pray for dawn.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

TT Moment when I get the cash.

Sid Riddle

@shiree

Locale: Southeastern US

I've had pretty good luck with my SMD Gatewood cape, But I'm ~5'11 and it is just enough room (lengthwise) for me when pitched all the way to the ground, so I don't know if you could fit your long bag in it. You could use any bug bivy or waterproof bivy in conjunction with it to make a fully waterproof and/or bug-proof shelter.
    I have never used a tarptent, but i prefer the versatility of a poncho tarp or the lightweightness (def. not a word) and freedom of a tarp.

-SR

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Eugene, I've got one of those monster Appy Trails shelters. They are big, light weight and good in strong winds. However, I prefer my MLD Grace Duo that was a gift from a friend on BPL. It's big for one person, but the perfect size for me and my 2 labs or a another person. I really like it.

My vote for quality would be any MLD solo shelter. Although, if you're on a tight budget, Appy Trails isn't bad.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Eugene, I'm lovin my 8X6 spinn tarp. I bought it here, a great deal so keep watching for your future something perfect! I've also spent quite a few dry and comfy nights in the cold, wind, rain, sleet and snow in a Coleman Kraz X. Double-walled, 3 pounds and side entry too. My full sized neo-air fits in but the gear has to spend the night out. Not bad for under $80 new.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

Jim said
    "@Joseph That does seem like a good combo. The Oware web site makes me want to gouge my eyes out though"

Yes, I know, and I bet David does also. Still, it is good gear at reasonable prices. The man knows how to make tarps!

Oh, I browsed your pics a bit. I really like this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/umnak/4264521579/in/photostream/

Thanks, and that reminds me that I need to get back to Dillingham the first of the year.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I had a TT Contrail and it was very nice. Then I sold it to geth the TTMoment which is THE best solo tent I've everseen. And believe me, I've checked out and used a lot of solo tents in my 67 years.

For 3 deason use the Moment has:

1. VERY fast setup (hence the name)
    2. large vestibule for pack storage and emergency cooking
    3. great ventilation
    4. amazing wind worthiness
    5. light weight (28 oz.)
    6. TarpTent's excellent quality and attention to detail
    7. totally bug proof/critter proof

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

A simple 9X9 flat tarp can be easily made. 1.1oz sil-nylon is available in a lot of places. About $50 including crossgrain for loops, reinforcement & thread, sealing and shipping. I know, 9×9 is HUGE. Two lengths of 3yds,60" fabric, one center seam. Scraps for reinfocements.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20069

They have many sizes and types. The silnylon models cost more, but lighter.

8×10 coated nylon $30
    8×10 silnylon $80

If you are comfortable with tarp camping, you may want a smaller/cheaper tarp.

The tarps made by Oware, MLD and others are superior, but aren't as cost effective.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

3$ painters tarp …

nothing cheaper … best way to practice tarp skilz …. itll do the job for most of what people do in the 3 seasons

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools