Topic

4″ blade, 43 gram Victorinox paring knife in Basic Kydex sheath.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 4″ blade, 43 gram Victorinox paring knife in Basic Kydex sheath.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Rick Pollard
    BPL Member

@tops-custom-kydex

Locale: Southwest Virginia

Years ago I read that custom knife maker Tom Krein used a Victorinox paring knife in a Kydex neck sheath as a utility knife. After finding the Swiss made beauties on line I ordered some and went about making a basic fold over sheath. I was really amazed at the way the Victorinox steel held an edge and how with a little honing they would stand up to weeks of kitchen duty and still shave.

I sold a bunch of them to backpackers because they literally weigh less than an ounce! The largest one had a 4 inch blade and tips the scale at 0.80 ounces. Adding the Kydex sheath brings it to 1.5 ounces and is a very capable knife.

If that is too heavy for you the 3.25 inch small handled paring knife weighs just over half an ounce (0.55 oz) without the sheath.

If you Google Victorinox and Kydex today you will find articles and videos on the bird’s beak fruit knife. It has found favor as a defensive tool for non permissive environments. The 2.5″ blade is legal most everywhere and the razor sharp blade is absolutely wicked. One of these rides in my wife’s pursewith the sheaths fixed to the lining.

These knives were always on my table when I did gun shows years ago. A consistent seller they helped pay for many a table. Recently I unpacked a box and found some gun show goodies so I’m offering them here.

Once these are gone I’ll probably forego the 3.25 and 3.5 inch versions and stick with the 4 inch and bird’s beak knives.

The 3.25 and 3.5″ versions are $22. The 4″ and bird’s beak are $25. This includes the knife and black Kydex fold over sheath.

Thanks for checking them out.

Elliott M
    BPL Member

@sciaticnve

Pic?

Rick Pollard
    BPL Member

@tops-custom-kydex

1. The knife on the scale is the 4″ paring knife (top knife in the two pics) so it is the heaviest.  I meant to load pics, thanks for the heads up. 
    Mark J
    BPL Member

@mrkjhn

any photos?

Mark J
    BPL Member

@mrkjhn

sorry, those just came in….

Rick Pollard
    BPL Member

@tops-custom-kydex

No worries Mark. Thanks for your interest in my work.

pat p
    Spectator

@antler1

Does the Kydex sheath have a belt loop. Is price TYD?

Rick Pollard
    BPL Member

@tops-custom-kydex

I’d be happy to discuss a belt loop but once isn’t included. This set up weighs less than an ounce and a half, it is designed ti be worn as a neck knife. It could also be zip tied to a ruck shoulder strap.

The price of these is TYD right now if you pay by cash, check or money order. If you would rather use another form of payment like PayPal please add $1 per knife.

Thanks for your interest in my work.

pat p
    Spectator

@antler1

I’ll  take a 4 inch w/sheath. PM sent

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Just got mine. Very nice.

How about red handles?

Rick Pollard
    BPL Member

@tops-custom-kydex

I’m glad you like it Troy.  Right now I am working with knives that I already have.  If there is continued interest I would be glad to do special orders such as serrated edges and different color handles.

Please send me an email at [email protected] to discuss.

Thanks,

Rick

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

PM sent

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve posted about how, when there are five caribou to butcher, everyone is fighting over my “Little Vicky” paring knife. Yes, they hold an edge remarkably well.

I’m intrigued by the neck-knife style sheath. I’ve never worn a knife like that, but while processing game or cutting bait while halibut fishing, quicker access would be nice.

PM sent.

Rick Pollard
    BPL Member

@tops-custom-kydex

I can also make my sheaths to accommodate a mini Tek Lok that allows you to wear the knife horizontally on your belt up front. This makes for easier re- sheathing.

Thanks for your comments.

Rick Pollard
    BPL Member

@tops-custom-kydex

I still have plenty of these available.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KXCytStKmhnt5eqb7

Rick Pollard
    BPL Member

@tops-custom-kydex

I bumped this post and then realized that I needed to adjust the prices.  Everything has gone up!  Postage, knives and Kydex.

That being said I can honor these prices for now if the buyer will cover the PayPal fees and postage.

Thanks!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I can vouch for those sheaths being just the right amount of tightness.  The knife is really secure in there and yet not hard to pull out. The grommets let you rig it a few different ways around one’s neck.

Rick Pollard
    BPL Member

@tops-custom-kydex

Thanks David.  I appreciate the feedback!

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

I got one of these. My first knife kydex sheath, so I am not expert. Very secure. Very happy.

Taylor L
    BPL Member

@taylorcrafty

How strong is the retention on these? Strong enough to wear on PFD as a packraft whitewater knife?

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

13 lbs on mine….your mileage may vary.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools