Topic

4.5 oz all net bug bivy (XL) – full length top zip entry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 4.5 oz all net bug bivy (XL) – full length top zip entry

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

The floor as well as front and rear triangles are made with .65 Questoutfitters noseeum. Green top material is RSBTR .50 noseeum. I wanted a full net bottom so I can have the option of using a WPB bivy. That way water won’t pool up like with a solid floor, however, I can still add a floor made with a host of waterproof materials if I’m not using the WPB bivy.

I’m 5′ 10″ tall so I made it to fit me. Ridgeline measures 5′ 10″ and base is 6′ 8″ long. Front width 32″ and rear is 28″. Front height 30″. I made the foot end with a slope to not only shave a little weight, but to also make it to where the front end doesn’t go so far back when I lower the front to get in the bivy (when paired with an A frame tarp). YKK #3 zipper spans almost the entire length of the ridgeline making for easy entry and exit.

There’s almost limitless options as to what I can do for a waterproof floor if needed. In the pic below I just placed a cut to fit .7 mil polycro (1.2 oz) and taped the corners to provide a hint of a bathtub floor, but I can also use a ZPacks solo bathtub floor to provide a lot more splash protection. Tyvek, silpoly, plastic and silnylon can also be utilized.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Awesome!!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Yessir this looks like a keeper thread. Monte you are really an example of the UL spirit. Always pushing the limits. Appreciate it.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Yet another great piece of work Monte! I love it.

matt kirk
    BPL Member

@matthew-d-kirk

Locale: southern appalachians

Looks great, Monte! Did you ever try monolite instead of the 0.67? Maybe more durability and less snag with ground debris. Weight penalty probably about an oz.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Good thinking Matt.  But due the weave, Monolite will probably be less breathable.

matt kirk
    BPL Member

@matthew-d-kirk

From my experience making mesh packs from monolite, it seems it would be plenty breathable.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Yea the Monolite looks good at 0.7 oz per sq yd, but my main concern would be whether or not it has enough holes per square inch to keep out noseeums or midges. Also the price is more than double Questoutfitters’ .65 ($6.80/yd vs $2.99/yd). The Monolite is no doubt tougher and as far as breathability goes that wouldn’t be a concern for ground fabric. You may be right though Matt, the Monolite could be the best choice. And no reason to get cheap I suppose because heck the RSBTR .50 is $6.75/yd.

I find the Questoutfitters .65 noseeum to be infinitely more durable and run resistant than RSBTR .67 and Dutchware .67. It actually looks like 0.9, but I’ve weighed it and it’s spot on. However the Questoutfitters’ is bulkier than RSBTR’s and Dutch’s so I only like it for ground fabric, end triangles or when high durability is needed.

I know most BPL’ers aren’t interested in my pushing the envelope creations. I can’t help it though because my hatred for weight just keeps getting worse. It’s not healthy really.

This latest bug bivy has more headroom and more overall space than other cottage bug bivys you see on the market and it’s lighter. I could make it with a 7D 4″ high bathtub floor instead and come in at around 5 oz.

matt kirk
    BPL Member

@matthew-d-kirk

The 1.0 oz monolite is what I have experience with and it is definitely tight enough weave to keep out the smallest bugs. Didn’t know there’s 0.7 oz now. That should make it all the better for this niche application. Intrigued by your idea of using this bug bivy in conjunction with wpb bivy. The idea being to skip the tarp altogether? Back in 2015 when I attempted an FKT on the Florida Trail (quit about 1/3 of the way due to injury) I carried a tiny bivy-sized MYOG tent with similar idea: I put the 0.67 noseeum mesh panels on the outside and waterproof walls on the inside which stayed rolled up for ventilation weather-permitting. I could roll them down from inside if needed. What I learned after a passing shower, the mesh would stay wet making it difficult to stay dry when trying to “open up the windows” back again. It can be tough keeping comfortable and dry in such a small space. Hence I went the opposite way with my next bug bivy which is basically a 10.5 oz net tent made from 0.5 nanoseeum and 4000 pu silpoly floor (can fit dog/kid). However, I’m inspired to revisit a true minimalist one-person design, thanks!

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I like the net tent Matt. This is the 0.7 oz RSBTR Monolite I’m referring to. https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/0-7-oz-monolite-ripstop-nylon-mesh Kyle also carries a 1.0 oz and a 1.5 oz Monolite.

I don’t want to skip a tarp altogether, rather I use either an SUL dual purpose half tarp (kilt) or a VERY light small tarp. I’ll post some pics tomorrow of my Montbell Breeeze Dry-Tec WPB Bivy paired with the bug bivy and either the 4.6 oz 7D tarp (56″ X 108″) or a large rain kilt/mini tarp pitched over the head and torso. The kilt/ mini tarp is more for drier climes or for when rain chances are lower, however it will keep me totally dry in a rain event and I don’t go crazy with rain pounding on my head/torso, The huge advantage of the bug bivy/WPB combo over a just WPB bivy with mesh on the head end (like the MLD FKT or Event Soul for example) is that if temps are warmer I don’t have to be inside of the bivy to have full bug protection. 

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Excellent piece, Monte. I really like the top entry configuration. Attention to detail is spot on and as usual, it pitches nice and tight. Love it!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Any pictures of this with tarp pitched over it? Have you used it? How is it getting in and out when tarp is pitched over it?

jj
    BPL Member

@calculatinginfinity

yeah im curious to see too

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Cool.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Soon I’ll post pics of this net and another one I made with a solid floor (link), both pitched under a silpoly solo tarp (68″ X 106″). https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/lightest-solo-net-tent-to-date/

I field tested the all net bivy about 4 nights last Fall. Entry and exit isn’t too bad with the sloped foot end and just a single length 3/32″ shockcord attached to foot ridge tieout. I simply take a 2′ strand of shockcord and tie it off to tarp ridge tieout (A frame). This allows me to pull the head end of the net forward when entering. When the front end of the net is dropped (to enter) and the foot end is left secured (up), it causes the front to retreat way back. Again, this is mitigated somewhat with the sloped foot and elastic cord.

Trying to use a removeable floor with the net was problematic though. I went with polycro and then a ZPacks solo bathtub floor. The issue was that the floor moves around too much when getting in and out. Better to just go with a solid floor when not using a WPB bivy. I made this net more to pair with my Montbell Breeze Dry-Tec bivy. You’re probably thinking gee Monte why not just get a bivy with head netting? And the answer is that I don’t want to be trapped inside of a WPB bivy for bug protection when the weather’s nice out. This way I can simply lay on top of the WPB bivy and not suffocate, and what’s more with decent space to move around in. When it’s raining on the bivy (and I have to be in it) temps inside aren’t too warm though.

I’ll probably pair the all net bug bivy up with my extra large DIY rain kilt ( dual use as fly over head and torso) for XUL trips this year. Add to it a bag liner or light bag/quilt, torso length sleep pad and 9 oz pack to round out the big 4 items. Setup would be more for outings where rain chances are less likely.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yeah I love that other one you made! So much in fact I have been searching all over to buy something like that. I found a Hilleberg mesh tent 1 that is similar, though it does weigh damn near a pound!  I also like the MSR thruhiker mesh 2 tent.. Again, a pound if not more..  Leaves me to believe I will stick with my Six Moon Designs Serenity net tent and Gatewood Cape this summer. I do love the open tarp style, but during bug season am not 100% sold on the confines of simple bug bivy..  I am searching for the unicorn!!   So your design there is definitely sweet and lightweight!! Remember, if you ever start a business.. I will be right there for you!!!

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

The oookworks bug bivy is the best one I’ve seen. It’s 28″ high so much roomier than other bug bivys and weighs only a tad more at 11 oz. Robust 30D bathtub floor. Out of stock for now however. https://oookworks.com/product/bug-bivvy/

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Ahhh.. yes thats good one too..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools