Topic

3p Backpacking tent.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 3p Backpacking tent.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jason H
    Spectator

@topduck

I will be buying a new tent soon and my wife gets a little claustrophobic so space is important. What I’m looking for is something around 4 pounds and I believe fits 3. I have been looking at Big Agnes Copper Spur (I’m a little worried about durability), the Stratospire 2 and A tent that I am leaning towards is the Nemo Dagger 3 because of the thicker materials. I am a little worried about the lack of reviews and videos about this tent. What’s your thoughts about a 3 person tent and have any of you used the Dagger?

Thanks.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Did you have a look at the Tarptent Hogback ?
    About the same weight as the Nemo  but more headroom and larger floor area.
    However not freestanding but you still need to stake out the others anyway.
    30d fly and floor .

franco@tarptent

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I second Franco’s suggestion to look at the Hogback. Terrific interior space:weight ratio.

Not as “light” as a pyramid shelter that might offer even more floor space, but at the cost of low edges not providing as much usable space as suggested by the surface area, and of course, the pole in the middle that interferes (only a little) with moving around inside.

Jason H
    Spectator

@topduck

Thanks for the responses. I hadn’t looked at the Hogback before and man that is a huge tent and light tent for it’s size. I would love to get that for the entire family but right now I think it’s a little to big and outside our budget. I can get a new Copper Spur 3 and Dagger 3 for 300  and would really like to keep my price around that. I just joined this sight and I love how active this community is. Your feedback is appreciated.

Jason H
    Spectator

@topduck

I have another question and since I am new to backpacking (just a couple years into it) I was hoping you could let me know if I am missing something. Allot of tents are using very thin material for the floors now days. For example the Copper Spur a 20D and then they recommend a footprint. Would going with a little thicker floor say a 30d then make so you don’t need a footprint and then save weight?

Thanks again for all your help.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hard to tell but many TT customers (myself included) don’t normally use a groundsheet.

(all TT silnylon floors are 30D)

BTW, the Hogback is indeed big inside (it does take 4 long mats) but the footprint is more like the one from a 3 person tent and much smaller than those that relay on several guylines to stand up.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

1.  This is personal choice, but I like to rely upon a footprint to take the brunt of the wear and tear, so I always use a footprint.  My Copper Spur UL2  has lasted me 6 years by using a footprint.  The only reason that I just bought a new one last year is that the zippers are getting annoying and I like the extra steep walls of the new HV models and tighter pitch making for an even quieter tent in high winds.  If you use a footprint, the denier of the actual tent is not so important.  No matter how tough the tent is,putting it on the ground is going to cause wear and it just makes sense to me to periodically replace the footprint (BTW, my footprint is still fine, but looks more worn so it does not have holes, but not sure if it’s still waterproof).  Of course, the lightest route is not to use  a footprint.  Many of the gram counters here don’t use footprints. However,  I personally choose to not rely upon even a 30d tent to last too long the way I use it…..I pick sites as carefully as I can, but sometimes the best sites in areas are still pretty rough above tree line.  I like to keep “big” equipment for a long time and not replace them frequently.
    2. I bought both a 2 person for solo use and a 3 person for solo 2 person use and 2 person with a child, so you can tell that I love these tents.  Is the tent that you can get for 300 the HV model?  The non-HV models were pretty good, but I think that the HV models are significantly better with steeper side walls and I especially like their ability to more easily get a tighter pitch with its new architecture…….it just makes for a more storm worthy (less bending in high winds) and quieter tent.
    3. The dagger 3p appears to have an architecture similar to the old non-HV models of the Copper Spur so I’d assume that it would be equivalent to the non-HV models and less storm worthy than the new HV Copper Spurs.
    Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

If 300 is your target, I’d recommend considering a Rainshadow II or III. While not as roomy as the Hogback, it’s palatial for two people (and reasonably comfortable for 3). And since the high point is over the head of the tent, I’d suspect it won’t feel all that claustrophobic.

Regarding ground sheets, I highly recommend them – especially if the sleeping pads of the occupants don’t cover the entire floor. With all the moving and sliding around, the friction created on the underside of the tent will wear out the bottom- eventually.  A cheap piece of Tyvek or even a thin polyurethane will go a long way toward helping offset that replacement. Yet if you truly want to support a tent manufacturer, buy their matching footprint. They make a lot of profit on those single pieces of material which are designed to get trashed.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use polycryo heat shrink window film for a footprint. That is tough, light and cheap.

Most hardware stores carry something. I like to get the big patio door or “5 window” kits and cut to suit. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-84-in-x-110-in-Patio-Shrink-Window-Insulation-Kit-V76QPD2/202262330 is one example. Amazon has a bunch too. Search “window insulation kit.”

Matthew Sims
    BPL Member

@jmatt567

I am in a similar situation and have been looking at the same 3p tents as you.  I ended up going with the Copper Spur HV UL3 with the footprint which is about the same weight as the Dagger 3p without the footprint. I decided I like the idea of having a relatively inexpensive and easily replaceable piece of fabric take the brunt of the wear on the tent.  I can always leave it at home if I want to save a little more weight on a trip if I know that the tentsites will be good where I’m going.

I also think the Copper Spur HV has a little steeper walls, giving it a little more effective length and it has an inch more headroom, both of which were important for me.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

” Yet if you truly want to support a tent manufacturer, buy their matching footprint”.
    To be fair to the manufacturers and retailers , it should be taken into account that dedicated accessories (those designed for a particular product) are a bit of a gamble because you don’t know how many you will sell and once the item they were made for is discontinued you could have some leftover for ever.
    To avoid that , at TT we just cut a piece of Tyvek for $12-15 .
    In Australia, buying a roll of 100′ Tyvek at a time , I would not even cover the cost of the material selling it for that with some tents.

Jason H
    Spectator

@topduck

I just got back from backpacking and noticed a bunch of responses. Thank you. Because of all your feedback I think I have narrowed it down to the Copper Spur 3HV. The Rain shadow only has 1 door and that is a no go. I might consider the Statospire 2  also. How does it come pair in size? I know the tech specs are smaller than the Copper Spur but everything I read says its very large?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

BTW , from that review from Dan :
    “TarpTent tends to release pretty refined products, so normally they don’t make a lot of changes post release. For example, I’m not aware of anything substantial that has changed on the SS2 over the last 5 years or so (yet it has gotten heavier, so I don’t know what’s up with this)”.

The fly fabric is still 30D silnylon but of a different type. Yes, it is a bit heavier but has a higher waterhead rating .

Jason H
    Spectator

@topduck

(Update) Well I just purchased a used Stratospire 2 off Ebay (I hope it’s a good one). Thank you all for the great info and if you have any tips on using this tent that would be great. Thanks again, you all helped a bunch and I will comment on what I think after our trip next weekend.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Jason,

If you have any questions about the SS2 you can contact me at [email protected].

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools