Topic

3D Topo Imagery

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 3D Topo Imagery

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Let me preface this post by saying that I am a dinosaur and haven’t kept up with mapping software technology. I still use paper maps and an old eTrex30.

I know you can get 3D imagery of topo maps if you have the necessary software and hardware in your computer.  Is such capability available today in either GPS units or on a cellphone?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Cell phones running Gaia GPS Premium offer this capability. Enable “Layered Maps” and then layer a “Shaded Relief Map” over a “Topo Map”.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Do cell phones need certain hardware to run it? I remember that Google Earth had 3D capability but my desktop didn’t have some hardware necessary to effect the 3D.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Any contemporary smart phone will provide 3D views without supplemental hardware or significant battery drain.

PC based Google Earth 3D requires hardware acceleration but not the smartphone version. This is of no value when backpacking because Google Earth 3D requires a Web connection.

The following are Gaia screen images for a portion of my next backpack trip route. Note that the National Geographic Topo map has a 3D effect as standard and so adding a US Shaded Relief layer doesn’t add much of value. Conventional topo maps, like the Gaia Topo, are enhanced with a Shaded Relief layer addition. They truly become 3D. This same layering approach, to provide a 3D version, can be used for any of the Topo maps available in Gaia.  All of the following images are screen shots from my iPhone.

National Geographic Topo layer + US shaded Relief layer

National Geographic Topo Layer only

Gaia Topo layer + US shaded Relief layer

Gaia Topo

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

The USGS topo maps are probably what you currently use and so here is an example of that map.

USGS Topo + Shaded Relief Layer

USGS Topo

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Just using a smart phone, you can also view the same route as a satellite 3D animation. See here.

Don H
    BPL Member

@donh-1

Locale: Midwest

Richard,

How did you generate the 3D animation?

Thanks, Don

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Don,

-Export your unique Gaia trip folder as a KML file

-As part of the export process, select the option to “Copy to Google Earth”

Don H
    BPL Member

@donh-1

Locale: Midwest

Excellent, thank you!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools