Topic

My Three Seaon, Ohio Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My Three Seaon, Ohio Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andy Schill

@aschill

I decided to take the plunge and post my gear list.

This website has totally changed my backpacking and its amazing. I learned most everything from reading others gearlists and the critiques they got, now its my turn to give back.

I really only backpack for three seasons. I backpack in Ohio, Michigan (UP), Canada, West Virginia, Kentucky and if I'm lucky out west.

Temperatures will get as low as about 20F at its coldest and 90F as the high. Obveously if it's summer time I won't carry a hat, gloves and insulation (depending on the trip too).

My trips are mostly long weekends 3-4 nights, and probably two or three trips a year with 5-6 nights. I have a group of friends and we all go together ( I don't solo..yet).

I didnt post my items worn, because it changes a lot and I don't really have the weights, but in general I wear a mountain hardware canyon shirt, patagonia pants, trail runners, Leki Makalu poles, and darn tuff socks. I still need to get some lightweight gaitors, I currently have some heavy MH gaitors.

Here is what I currently use:

Big Three

ULA Ohm 22.6
    Mont-bell Down Hugger three 19
    GG The One Tent 18.5
    Total: 60.1

Clothing Carried

Bozeman Mtn Wrks Jacket 9
    Wool Socks 1.5
    Patagonia Cap2 Pants 6
    TNF Triumph Rain Jacket 6
    BPL Possum Down Hat 0.85
    BPL Possum Down Glove Liners 1.5
    Bandanna 1.6
    Total 26.45

Cooking

Caldera Cone System 6.1
    Small Bic Lighter 0.3
    Small Piece of Pack Towell 0.2
    S2S Ti Spoon 0.3
    Total 6.9

Water Purification

MSR Hyper Flow 8.2
    Total 8.2

Other

FAK (meds, moleskin, foot tape, bandaids, tape, etc) 2
    Petzl E-Lite 0.9
    Sanitary Kit (TP, Wet Wipes, Dr. B's, hand Sanitizer) 3
    Swiss Army Knife, small 0.7
    BPL Bear Bagging Kit 3
    MSR Pack Towel 0.8
    Compass 0.8
    Spare Spectra line 0.1
    Platy 1.5 litre 1
    Aquafina 1 litre 1
    Camera 6
    Pack Liner 1.3
    Tooth Brush/Small Paste/Dental Floss/Cuben Bag 2
    Whistle 0.5
    Cotton Balls/Vasoline 1
    Weather Proof Matches in Plastic Bottle 0.5
    Neo Air, Medium 13
    Total 37.6

Total- Around 139.25oz or 8.7lbs

Some changes I need to make:

– I sleep cold and the montbell bag isnt cutting it for some of the colder trips I do. I would like to get a 20F bag or quilt. I'm looking into quilts currently. For some of the cooler trips I'm also thinking about grabbing some really thin insulation foam for untop of my neo air for added warmth.

– I never use the plastic case for my caldera cone, so I'm probably going to ditch it for any upcoming trips.

– I love my MSR hyperflow but it is a pain to backwash in the field every 8 litres of water. It also requires that you use the special lid that fits onto a nalgene style bottle to backwash. I have a "soft nalgene" that I may start carrything with the special lid to backwash in the field. I've never tried Aquamira before but I'm going to give it a go on my next trip.

– Sorry Mike C, I'm going to stick with TP for now, but I totally respect everyone that doesnt use TP.

– Santa is bringing me some GG Lt4 poles and a Montbell UL down inner jacket.

Thanks!

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

For your new sleeping bag you want to get I would really recommend the mb ul super spiral 1. Its a sweet bag.

Andy Schill

@aschill

Thanks, I will look into that bag. I'm not really ready to buy now though.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Andy

> I sleep cold and the montbell bag isnt cutting it for some of the colder trips I do.

Before you spend a lot of $$ on a new quilt or bag, try using some foam on top of the NeoAir. I strongly suspect that your problem may be that you are losing too much heat through the mat. Those NeoAirs are not very warm, no matter what TR claim. Check our review of it too,.

> I love my MSR hyperflow but it is a pain to backwash in the field every 8 litres of water.

Ah yes. Have you read our review of it? Same conclusion.

Cheers

Andy Schill

@aschill

Roger,

Yeah I figured I was probably loosing a lot of body heat from the neoair. I'm going to pick up some foam for it, but I would still like to try a quilt sometime, I've never used one.

Its too bad about the hyperflow because I really like it, but the backwashing part has become a serious problem, so it will get nixed next year.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools