Topic

where to look at and buy gear in New York?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) where to look at and buy gear in New York?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ben P

@benp1

Locale: London

I'm going to be in New York for a few days over the christmas break with my wife. Would someone be able to give me names of any big outdoor gear shops that I should try to make time to see. I have no idea what gear is available but I'd love to walk around a few of the shops. An idea of where they are would be great, I'm staying in Manhattan

Thanks!

Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York

The two biggest gear stores I am aware of in Manhattan are Paragon Sports and EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports). Both have websites you can check out which have the exact location. I think they are both in the Soho area.

There is a Patagonia store as well. I am sure there are others, but these are what I know of.

If you need anything else let me know. I live in Manhattan.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

in addition to the two listed above.

all the way downtown about a block away from the wtc site. the place is old-school ny with stuff shoved in so tight you hope there isn't a fire. they carry a wide aray of manufactures, gear and clothing.

http://www.tenttrails.com/

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I haven't been to Tents 'n' Trails – referred to in the prior post – for a couple of years, but it used to have a great selection and very good deals. Even some bargaining from time to time. Well worth the subway ride downtown.

Christopher Kuzmich

@obchristo2

Icebreaker just opened a store in SOHO across from the Patagonia Store.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Well, not a gear shop, but you really should stop in to the Apple Store on Fifth Avenue!

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

Campmor is 20 mins from the GWB in Jersey. Last time my inlaws from Texas came in they wanted to see the store they have been ordering from for years. Only location.

My Favorite store

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Where does Donald Trump go to buy his outdoor clothing in Manhattan?

–B.G.–

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

He Probably goes to patagucci.

Ben P

@benp1

Locale: London

Thanks very much guys, I'll check those places out!

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Nothing in Manhattan compares to Campmor and other places in NJ, but they are a pain to get to without a car.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've been buying by mail order from Campmor for over 25 years, probably one or two shipments per year.

–B.G.–

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I work just across the river from Campmor and live maybe 20 miles away.
    I have friends who work there.
    I have been ordering from there for over 20 years and only went there for the first time last year.

No need to actually go to an outfitter in my opinion, unless you really need to try stuff on.

Paragon at Union Square is probably the most complete outfitter in Manhattan, but that ain't saying much:-)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools