Topic

Ideas for quick backpacking trip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Ideas for quick backpacking trip?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

Anyone have any ideas for an overnighter (with fishing opps.) in Shenandoah, GW National Forest or somewhere between Charlottesville/Richmond and DC? I’m hoping to find a legitimate wilderness area. Thanks

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

BUMP

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

This site has maps and descriptions which are helpful:

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/

Might be too far, but I like the wilderness areas in WV, such as Dolly Sods and Cranberry. Cranberry is well-known for trout fishing opps.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I don't know much about fishing but here are a few ideas.
    1. The AT near Lexington VA. Check out the secion throught the James River Face wilderness and the north of the James River to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Good scenery, and one of the bigger wilderness area in VA. Check out Devil's Marbleyard.
    2. St. Mary's Wilderness is supposed to be good, haven't tried it yet.
    3. Grayson Highlands area. This is very scenic, go in the fall or spring when its not as crowded and you can experience some real mountain weather.

Edit
    I just remembered another section of the AT. Check out Tar Jack Ridge and Cold (also know as Cole) Mountain north of Highway 60. Its not as remote but the views are great.

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

this is immensely helpful. thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools