Topic

Insulated Winter Footwear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Insulated Winter Footwear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Locale: Colorado

When I snowshoe I'm usually/almost always OK with a light goretex hiker as long as I'm staying active. But I have a few overnight trips planned with my little guy this year and I'm thinking I needs something a bit more insulated when I'm not active.

My choices are some insulated boots or insulated over-boots that I pack in for the non-active periods. I'm leaning towards some insulated boots but I'm not interested in some bulky or clunky boot.

Has anyone had any experience with the Garmont Momentum Snow GTX boots? They look like they fit what I'm looking for, but I don't know if they will have enough insulation for the down times.

Does anyone have any input or advice?

Thanks,

Mike

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

I've heard nothing but good things from the wearers of 40 below overboots. So much that I decided to get a pair for this winter. Joel is great to deal with, very responsive.

While they are a bit expensive, they are saving me from buying a pair of winter boots, or a larger pair of trail runners plus waterproof socks, and they are extremely versatile.

40below.com

Edit: f you are just looking for something for down time, so not hiking, I would say bringing an extra pair of boots is silly, and would be really heavy. A pair of down booties and waterproof shells would be lighter and probably warmer.

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Thanks for that link – I looked at 40below a while ago and ruled them out from a cost perspective. But I looked again and I really liked the camp booties, they look really sweet.

I tried on the Garmont boots and they fit really well, and I think I'll pick them up tomorrow. I'm not used to wearing a boot that tall so I hope I can break them in a bit. But the combination of the camp booties and the Garmont boots should set me up very nicely.

Any other opinions before I spend a boat load of money?

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

I looked at your booties, and thought, "for just $20 more you could buy a pair of Western Mountaineering Expedition Booties" but then I thought, well yeah… for $20, $40, or $100 you can get all kinds of stuff. :)

But, when I noticed you are also thinking of purchasing new boots that appeared to be over a hundred, I wonder if you would like to look at Steger mukluks?

While they are most effective in arctic conditions, as you are looking into to doing overnighters, and continued day hikes, after adding some water repellancy to your boots, they'll likely keep you happy. A hiking boot, and camp shoe all in one.

The Steger mukluk website is very helpful in getting you the best boots for your environment. Again, better conditions for the boots are -20 and below, but they sell boots that with care, will comfort and protect you in -10 to -20.

LINK to a BPL users thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=6293

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

no experience w/ those, but they look pretty good

I have the Merrell Isotherm 6 boots http://www.rei.com/product/803496 that I've been very satisfied w/, long day hikes- nothing overnight yet though

I think even w/ insulated boots for overnight stuff I'd look at overboots (40 Below) for an extra safety margin- hard to keep boots dry

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

William – thanks for the link – those are very interesting, but not quite what I am looking for.

So I ended up getting the Garmont boots today. They are great. I wore them around the office all day, and had very hot feet, but man they feel great. I'm not used to boots that high anymore, but they should break in nicely. I'll have them out in the snow tomorrow and I'll know for sure if they were worth it.

Mike – I know what you are saying about wet boots and extra protection. But I'm going to be hauling extra boots for my little guy and need to keep the volume and weight down. I'm torn over the over boots, but if I do get a pair – I think I'll go a cheaper rout like N.E.O.S. over boots.

Thanks,

Mike

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Since you'll be camping and have no warm room to dry your boots out you need the following:

1. thin poly liner socks
    2. Vapor Barrier Liner (VBL)
    3. wool or wool/synthetic blend socks over the VBL
    4. good insulation layer like a thick feltpac (no WalMart cheapo liners but good Sorrel pacs)
    5. arch supporting insole for the feltpacs

My preference for light but warm winter boots are my Neos with the above combo inside. They are good to – 30 F. if you keep moving and -20 F. around camp.

Optionally, for sub-zero tempos you'll need to add add a thicker flat foam insole between the feltpac and the inner overboot sole.

AT NIGHT:
    >remove feltpacs & put them in the foot of your bag.
    >turn your VBLs inside out and after 10 min. of drying also put them in the foot of your bag
    >remove your thin poly liner sox & put them in a dirty clothes bag. (new liner sox for each day)
    >put on a VERY thick pair of "sleeping sox". Fleece socks are great

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Nice set up you have there Eric. Pretty complex system.

I took the boots out yesterday and I'm way happy with what I got. My feet were very warm and I liked the performance of the boots. Only issue is the shoe laces kept coming untied even after using a surgeons knot, so I'll have to figure something out.

I think Santa will be paying me a visit with the 40below booties and I'm looking forward to getting those.

Now we just need more snow!

Mike

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

One of the guys I hike with has these, and loves them. I prefer my Columbia Ice Dragon insulated boots, but everyone's foot is different. And if it's wicked cold, then I use my Koflachs…

Sure wish I could justify those Steger mukluks…those look great!

Rick
    Spectator

@rharjes

I've been using these this winter for snowshoeing and love them. I plan on using them on a few overnight trips with down booties. The laces are kind of quirky, but have stayed tied after doing the double knot you've been doing.

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

Figured this would be a good place to post this…just got their daily email, and these are on sale.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000228_200368788?cm_cat=TRAILMAIL&cm_ite=TrailMail-December232010&cm_pla=26300&cm_ven=EMAIL

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

When doing overnighters after a high energy day, it is all about moisture management.

This is why the VBL system works great. I have used it many times with great results. I used the NEOS, with an insole and synthetic waterproof liners. The only drawback is the nightly foot maintenance. This becomes impossible if it gets too much below zero.

The steigers look nice and perform well as long as you can bring them in at night and dry them by the fireplace. Out in the cold overnight the liners freeze to the canvas and you are in a world of hurt. Of you are lucky enough to get them out; you will need a sledge hammer to get them back in in the morning.

I am trying a new system. a mukluk based on two nested felt liners, thick felt sole and a frost plug. The shell is a very breathable fabric. The idea is to move moisture out away from your foot. You wear the liners to bed, put the insoles in your shirt and shake out the frost plugs in the morning. This system has been perfected by others in my hiking group over the last five years.

I'll let you know how they work for me soon.

Dave

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools