Topic

Best synthetic sleeping bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best synthetic sleeping bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Doran

@pauldoran

Locale: Guernsey

I am getting rid of my, admittedly beautiful, phd sleeping bags! I have become a vegan and now longer wish to own them.

What is the best in the market? It will need to be rated to around -5c, I would think.

Most long lasting as possible, what synthetic fillers last the longest? Is it really true they get worse quickly over time? I find it hard to believe since people have Patagonia DAS parka with primaloft last for years…

Thanks

Dave Gordon

@diplodocus

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Might consider the Mountain Hardwear Lamina 20 (-7c)… I don't personally own one, but I know a few people that do and have had good luck with them. Not sure if it's the lightest option, but it's a pretty decent synthetic.

Comparing the longevity to synthetic clothes, keep in mind that putting the bag in a compression sack and cinching it very tightly is going to be a lot more damaging for the insulation than how you would typically treat your clothes. Not sure what the actual longevity is on synthetic bags though, but it's definitely going to relate to how many times you've compressed it.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

IMO … cat's meow or ultralamina …

get a synth bag which is en-rated … with down you can estimate roughly the temp by the amount of fill …. synth is a total cr@p shoot

ive used my meow down to 15F with normal clothes and a neo air in a bivy … lower with insulating clothes

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

IMHO, you could do worse than the North Face Cat's Meow…

Jim York

@jimbawb

Locale: PNW

Another vote for the Cat's Meow…just beware, it doesn't pack very small…

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

cats meow or ultra lamina

i also have seen the marmot pounder plus and tnf orion, seemed to be pretty solid bags in there own right

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

see if you can find an older 2008 fission sleeping bag or an ultralamina

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools