Topic

BPL Beartooth Hoody vs. I/O Bio Merino Hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BPL Beartooth Hoody vs. I/O Bio Merino Hoody

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

If anyone has been eagerly waiting for the BPL Beartooth Hoody to be restocked in the BPL store and have been met with disappointment at the lack of availability then I definitely recommend picking up an I/O Bio Merino hoody. I did a quick from the couch side by side comparison of the two baselayers and must say I prefer the I/O Bio Merino over the Beartooth immediately.

Here's why:

Cost: I/O Bio Merino Hoody $53.98 right now @ Backcountry.com vs. $104.49 for the BPL Beartooth.

* Sorry, Backcountry.com ended the $53.98 SALE. Full retail on the I/O Bio Merino is $89.

Weight: 160g/m2 vs. 150 g/m2
    (The ever so thicker merino in the I/O Bio is hardly noticeable but feels more substantial and less "frail"… not that the BPL Beartooth Hoody is frail, but it has always felt a wee on the thin side)
    Piece weighs about 9oz.

Color: I picked one up in Dark Navy blue w/ yellow flatlock seams and it's more subtle and less "techy" in appearance. I/O Bio is also available in black w/ red stictching for all the deathmetal UL backpackers or angsty hikers.

*The BPL Beartooth is a 2-Tone green/gray and looks a touch ridiculous IMO when worn off trail, which is fine since it's a performance piece. I'm aware of it's limitations in that dept.

Fit: I/O Bio Merino hoody fits better overall. The cut is more effective and there are no baggy areas so it fits closer to the body all around. I would call the cut athletic in design. I was never completely satisfied with the the baggy cut around the chest area on the Beartooth hoody. My size small fit roomy in the chest and upper arms and tapered really tight down to the bottom waist hem. The hem on the I/O Bio merino hoody is long like the Beartooth for layering and extra coverage. I/O Bio also has great arm length for tall wearers.

Content: 96% Merino 4% Elastane

* I don't know the fabric specs of the BPL Beartooth Hoody, both pieces feel comparable in terms of hand feel and next to skin feel. Both have a healthy amount of Merino.

Subtle details:

– Balaclava style hood
    – Thumbholes
    – Zipper garage (*BPL Beartooth doesn't have this feature)
    – Flatlock seams

Concensus:

This is in no way to diminish the quality or greatness of the BPL Beartooth Hoody, because that piece has worked great for me over the last year or so on trips and trail runs, but just to show there are other affordable options to a highly sought after garment.

I'd honestly say that you'd be hard pressed to find much in the Beartooth hoody that you can't find in the I/O Bio Merino hoody, both are comparable.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

Which hoody are you referring to for IO Bio? The one I found on the website said it weighed 260g/m2. It's the Men's Signature Hoodigan for $119. Can you provide a link to the one you talking about? Thanks

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I/O Bio Merino rocks. I have a few pieces from them. Good deals available at BackCountry or SteepAndCheap regularly.

Wish I would've seen that deal on the hoody. At least my wallet thanks me, eh?

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

I absolutely concur. The I/O hoody has been fantastic for me so far, and I do prefer the fit to the beartooth. Great product.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

I have the BPL hoody Large and the fit is a bit snug. How does the Bio fit?

Also- Anyone use the Ibex Hooded Indie?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

@ Mark,

The I/O Bio Hoody fits snug as well. The fit is however more consistent all around the body with no baggy areas in the arms or upper torso.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Is it tight/cut like the icebreaker 150g baselayer stuff?

I think icebreaker calls it the beast line, cheapest LS they have, think around $69.

Mitchell Murphy

@texico

Locale: North Georgia

I have the Hooded Indie from Ibex. Had it for a few weeks now, but I've taken it on several day hikes and even exercised in it to see how it feels/fits. I really like the piece. It is 195g/m^2, so a bit heavier than the two being discussed here, but I feel like it is going to be the perfect piece for my winter layering system as a baselayer. The fit is snug but not tight, say an athletic fit versus a compression/fitted piece. I love the thumb holes and the balaclava style hood is nice. I'm 5'9" 140lbs.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Mitchell-
    What size is your Ibex? I'm little bit more rounder than you. 5'10 at 185+. Look at the picture; illustrates much of my non-hiking life.

Mark

Mitchell Murphy

@texico

Locale: North Georgia

Whoops, completely missed that I didn't post the size. I bought a medium.

I'll probably be looking to get a 150g/m^2 wool piece when spring rolls around. The Indie is nice, but in 75-85*F temps I was definitely getting pretty warm.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I emailed smartwool sometime ago (month or so) and asked about a lightweight hoody (ie their retired Shadowy Hoody)- they said one was in the works for this spring :)

James Horner

@jbob19

Locale: Ontario

I talked to a sherpa gear rep today and got some info on the Kushi hoody.

sherpa adventure Gear
    Kushi top
    17.5 micron
    140 g/m2

http://www.sherpaadventuregear.com/mens/khushi-top.php

I can get one of these in a large blue colour from the rep but I really need the grey colour. If anyone knows where to buy one of these online then let me know.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Mike said on 12/02/10 "I emailed smartwool sometime ago (month or so) and asked about a lightweight hoody (ie their retired Shadowy Hoody)- they said one was in the works for this spring :)"

today they said "In Fall 2011 (August), we are introducing our new line of Lightweight Next To Skin, which will not include a Hoody. But in Fall we are going to make a Midwight Hoody for both men and women."

well so much for Smartwool :(

going to look into both the I/O and Ibex hoody

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I picked up one of the Ibex hoodies off their clearance page recently. I'm liking it! Super comfy, fits well as a base layer or a light mid layer over a thin shirt, and pretty warm for how thin it is.

I'm really stoked on this as a thin insulation layer for while on the move.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

can you comment on fit on the hooded Indie?

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Hey Mike,

It's got a little bit of an athletic cut but seems to be pretty true to size. I'm 5'10", 200 lbs with a 43" chest and a size Large is perfect for me. It's just baggy enough to layer over a thin shirt comfortably or wear it by itself without a whole lot of extra fabric.

-Nick

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

great, I'm just about the same size :) thank you

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

just received a Ibex Hooded Indie in size Large and the fit is perfect! material is light, but doesn't feel frail like some of the very lightest merino, the hood is very functional- have seen several hoody models where the hood appeared to be an after thought, the zipper is nice and long and should prove valuable for venting, 10.1 oz

should have an opportunity next weekend to test drive it :)

Jason Delso
    BPL Member

@zencarver

Locale: DFW

The hood on the Indie doesn't fit my alien noggin very well. The stretch in the I/O Bio Contact 1 Glory Zip (friggin' awkward name that I had to Google to get right) allowed the hood to fit me much better.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Big +1. This has been my go-to winter and shoulder season baselayer for the past 6 months. Great fit, comfortable when wet, dries quickly, and has held up well to washing. Hood works well for me alone or over a beanie. Size medium fits my 5'8, 150 lbs perfectly and looks cool in green.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools