Topic

BD Contact crampons

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism BD Contact crampons

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I'm looking for one crampon that I can put on both flexible trail runners and plastic telemark boots. Impossible? Perhaps. These look like the best candidates. So

1) Anyone used the Contacts (with flexible center bars) with light trail runners? How they do, eh?

2) Same question for a light plastic tele boot, using the looong flexible bars, natch.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i was in hill sound today buying their trail crampons and asked the designer and owner the exact same question …

i was hoping that the trail pro crampons could be used for both my mountain boots and trail runners

he expressely noted that they wouldnt and that bars if flexed enough would retain the warp, they dont spring back to their original shape over time

he indicated the Katooha KTS, noting that they had a patent on the multilayer leaf spring they use

now i know this doesnt answer the question about the BD contacts … but i suspect they would have a similar issue, ive heard that there might be more flexible bars you can get, but does it warp over time …

anyways it removes one set of crampons from the mix … the hillsound guys were very honest, saying that theirs would not be recommended outright … which is too bad cause it only costs $80 and weight like 680g

i got a set of the trail crampons instead

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Eric, oddly enough I emailed Hillsound two days ago and got the same response. Kuddos to them for being honest. I think BD licenses Kahtoolas center bars, but not sure about that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I'm looking for one crampon that I can put on both flexible trail runners and plastic telemark boots."

David,

You might want to take a look at the Stubai Ultralight Universal Crampon. It weighs ~590 grams the pair. I've used them with my Inov8 Roclite 390's on moderate snow/ice, and they are fine. I would assume they will also fit tele boots from their design. They are not meant for mixed terrain, or technical climbing, but for moderate backcountry use they are fine.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I appreciate the feedback Tom, if those worked on Innov8s then I imagine Contacts will work on LaSportivas. I do want steel, and BD has always had good CS for me.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Spoke with BD CS earlier today. They recommended the Contact for trail runners, but though a crampon with a bail would be better for tele boots. I'm hoping to haul boots down to the mountain shop and try them both out soon.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I know there's at least a few people using BD contacts with trail runners on San Jacinto here in Socal. I know a couple people who seem to like the combo.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

I have been using the Contact crampons ever since the first year they were in production and am very pleased with them, but have only used them on lightweight climbing boots (i.e. Garmont Tower GTX – older version) which have quite a bit of flex, but not as much as trail runners and I have the standard bars. Mine are also not stainless steel, as the current ones. I wonder how well they retain their sharpness with stainless – the longevity of their 'bite' was one thing that always impressed me about these. Mine are also the 'new-matic' version and may not work with trail runners because of a lack of heel lip. Nonetheless, I am intrigued by the idea.

As an aside, I have seen people using Grivel G-10's on softer flexing boots without complaint. I have a pair of G-12's which need sharpening currently, but do have the more appropriate universal strap system for trail runners.

I wish Camp made their Nano-tech version with Sandvick steel on all points, rather than just the front.

Eric Pape
    Spectator

@achiral

Locale: SF bay

I'll second on the Grivel G10 series. You can get them with a NewMatic binding which will work with shoes and boots.

Also, Grivel makes flexible extension bars that replace the normal stiff bars. This makes using crampons on tennis shoes, even with a large amount of flex, quite reasonable.

Although the extensions aren't spring steel, I see no signs of deformation after considerable use.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Ended up going with door 3: Camp Magix 10 point steel crampons.

They have a flexible, dual steel bar with a very wide range. They fit my size 45 trail runners and my mondo 28 tele boots just fine. The light rubber bots and unique underfoot points (which our local shop owner said really do reduce balling) sold me.

Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

Hey David,

Would really like to hear your feedback regarding these after use. I own many a CAMP item (from quickdraws to Vector Nanotechs) and am curious as to these particular specialty crampons. Always appreciate your feedback!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Nick, should be able to give them a good work out this weekend. The rain we've gotten lately below 5000' should free into some nasty mank as the week goes on and the temps drop.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

Apologies for resurrecting a 4 month old thread but I just spotted the Camp Magix 10 on sale at Prolite Gear for $75 and was wondering what your opinion of these crampons are David, or anyone else who owns a pair?

$75 shipped seams like a nice price for a new pair of loaner crampons for the brother-in-law.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I like them a lot. Can't imagine a 10 point steel crampon being better, really. The anti-bot rubber plate things are quite effective, the points are sharp and burly, and the angled underfoot points seem to get the job done.

Best of all, they work with light trail runners and plastic telemark boots well, and are quick and easy to adjust.

I don't think they'd wear any quicker than any other steel crampon, which is to say wear would depend on how much rock and talus action they see.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

Cheers for that David,

I just went a head and ordered a pair.

For $75 I don't think I will find a better deal anyway for a pair of crampons.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools