Topic

3 Season 6.4lb list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3 Season 6.4lb list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Locale: Alaskan

I haven't posted my list in about three years and I have lost a fair amount of weight since then. This list is for everything except full winter. I am comfortable with this gear down to around 20F. My trips are usually at least one week long so I need to be able to handle a variety of conditions. All comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome. I am currently preparing for a winter trip and will post that list around the new year.

Base 6.42lb – Skin Out Base 8.86lb

+

Clothing:
    Cocoon hooded pullover S 256g
    The North Face Triumph Anorak M 155g
    Patagonia Capilene bottoms 2 M 132g
    Integral Designs Pertex pants M 94g
    OR PL400 Mittens L 82g
    OR Wind Warrior hat XL 73g
    Manzella windstopper glove L 50g
    Smartwool Ultralight mini crew socks 45g
    MLD Event Rain Mitts M 28g
    Defeet Levitator lite 1" cuff 31g
    Cannondale fleece balaclava 30g
    Total: 976g 34.92oz 2.18lb
    +

Sleeping System:
    Nunatak Arc Alpinist M Quantum 1oz overfill 595g
    Kookabay 46"x20"x2.5" R4 296g
    MLD Litesoul Cuben bivy 131g
    Zpacks Hexamid with guylines 94g
    Suluk46 71"x20"x1/4" 77g
    BPL UL 60 Balaclava 51g
    GG Nightlite pad 10"x20" 45g
    (8x) 6" Ti shepherds hook stakes 45g
    Total: 1334g 47.05oz 2.94lb
    +

Packing:
    Zpacks Zero XL 150g
    MLD Packliner 37g
    ZPacks large cuben stuff sack for food 10g
    ZPacks large cuben stuff sack for quilt 10g
    ZPacks S cuben stuff sack for TP and bodyglide 3g
    MYOG .33 cuben stuff sack for other essentials 1g
    ZPacks cuben raincover stuff sack 2g
    ZPacks cuben stake sack 2g
    MYOG .33 wallet pouch <1g
    Total: 215g 7.58oz 0.47lb
    +

Cooking and Water:
    Platypus 1L with zip bottom 32g
    Aquamira 31g
    Platypus 1L with squirt top 27g
    Fosters pot 25g
    Caldera Cone for Fosters pot 25g
    Reflectix ziplock Cozy 21g
    Starlyte stove w/o potstand 13g
    Sea to Summit Alphaware Spoon 10g
    Baby food pouch for fuel 5g
    Match book 3g
    Aluminum foil lid for pot 1g
    Measuring cup for alcohol 1g
    Total: 194g 6.84oz 0.43lb
    +

Other Essentials:
    TP (six days worth) 35g
    ZPacks Cuben rain cover 27g
    Band Aid Friction Block 25g
    Fenix LD01 flashlight w/ li AAA 21g
    Ziploc bag with data sheets 17g
    Swiss-Tech Utili-Key knife 13g
    (12x) Money 10g
    ID and debit card 8g
    Freedom photon microlight 7g
    Spare li AAA 7g
    ibuprofen / benadryl in ziploc bag 6g
    Swedish firesteel 5g
    Superglue 5g
    Sleeping pad repair kit 4g
    Buffing wipe for glasses 3g
    (2x) Safety pin <1g
    Total: 194g 6.84oz 0.43lb
    +

Clothing Worn:
    New Balance MT101 size 12 495g
    Patagonia Capilene 2 top M 150g
    BPL Trekking pants M 113g
    Golite Trail Shirt Shortsleeve S 71g
    Smartwool Ultralight 3/4 crew socks 45g
    Total: 874g 30.82oz 1.92lb
    +

Other Items Worn / Carried:
    GG Lightrek 3 poles 158g
    Suunto Observer Ti 52g
    Prescription glasses 16g
    Duct tape on trekking poles 7g
    Total: 233g 8.21oz 0.51lb

Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

Locale: Southeast

Two balaclavas?

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Two balaclavas?
    Arc Alpinist is hoodless

Pretty tight list and well thought out. It is similar to mine in many ways, except I use an MLD 850 w/ Ti-tri and a different quilt + shelter, as well as more down and wool, less synthetics and poly. Same(ish) pack, cuben bivy + sacks, Kokabay pad, etc.

What about bug protection?

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

two balaclavas?

One fleece to wear while hiking. Light insulation and very breathable. The BPL balaclava is to wear while sleeping in addition to everything else if needed. It is light and warm but has poor breathability and visibility for hiking.

bug protection?

I said it was a 3 season list, but really it is for fall and spring. I have a seasonal job and can't get time away during the summer. I have lots of time from September to March though. Bugs are not an issue at these times on the east coast.

Here are a couple ideas I have to continue lightening my load and keeping my gear versatile. Listed is the potential weight savings.

Cuben/down jacket to replace Cocoon -save 30-50g

Replace the TNF Triumph with two MYOG jackets similar to something Bender posted some time ago. A momentum wind / light rain jacket and a cuben rain jacket. I think the combined weight of both could still -save 30g

MYOG momentum rain pants to replace ID pants – save 20g

OR Wind Pro hat is very heavy at 73g… maybe a MYOG hat based on this pattern: http://www.shelby.fi/kaava/403/403.php

Custom quilt to replace Arc Alpinist with narrower width and cuben baffles – save 0g but much warmer

Sleeping pad, the system I have now is almost 1lb for R4.9 torso and R3.1 feet. I don't know what would be warmer and lighter, or the same and lighter. Bulk becomes an issue here with items like a full length Luna Pad.

Replace MLD packliner with MYOG .51 cuben packliner – save 10g… or seam seal pack and save 34g

Replace remaining smaller stuff sacks with MYOG .33 – save 3g

Shoes- I am constantly searching for a pair of size 12's that will weigh under a pound and have just a little cushioning. I haven't found them yet, but I have some Mizuno Wave Universe's on order.

What else?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Brian

I think it's a great list and I wouldn't mess with anything unless its time to replace something anyway. I know some people will disagree with me, but at under 7 lbs, you just aren't going to notice any huge difference in your hiking or enjoyment by losing another 1/2 pound or so. Not to stop you from MYOG if you enjoy the process . . . .

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I throw a few ideas out there because this is such a great list, and great lists are the ones that are the most fun to talk about.

1) You gotta seam seal that cuben pack (+5g) and ditch the Packliner (37g) and Pack Cover (27g). You'd save a ton of weight (~60g) and you'd also make things a whole lot simpler. Simplicity rules….especially in the rain. When it starts pouring you don't want to have to fiddle with a pack cover. This is a win-win.

2) Replace the Smartwool socks (45g) with a second pair of the DeFeet socks (31g). I love these DeFeet socks. They're super light and they dry super fast.

3) Consider some cuben rain mitts instead of the eVent ones (28g). I have some MYOG 0.7oz cuben rain mitts that weigh 8g. Yeah they don't breathe like eVent but my hands don't really sweat. I like the cuben ones since I rarely use these. I only use them when it's raining and quite cold.

4) Replace the Kookabay pad (295g) and Sulak46 pad (77g) with one NeoAir Small (265g) and then use the GG pad under your feet. You'd save a quarter pound and retain the comfort of a 2.5" thick pad. I even use a NeoAir on snow occasionally and find it warm enough.

5) Is there any way you can shave some weight off that heavy wallet pouch? :)

6) FWIW, I used to have the BPL Thorofare Pants (4oz) and now I use Patagonia Sol Patrol pants (7oz). The Sol Patrol pants are a similar type of material but much more durable for a fairly small weight gain. They are still much lighter than most pants and you can buy them cheap off Patagonia's site…look for seconds around $30. If you're going to be spending a lot of days on the trail you might want to look at something like this because I felt that the durability of the Thorofare pants wasn't high enough.

7) Wow…6 days of TP for 35g. You must be an efficient wiper.

8) Why the bivy inside the Hexamid? A simple groundsheet seems more spacious and much lighter.

9) 82g mittens might be overkill. I use thick 320g/m2 Icebreaker Wool gloves that weigh 52g and these keep my hand warm for everything but cold winter trips.

Overall, I think there's room to save at least 1/2 lbs…and maybe 3/4 lbs without really sacrificing anything. The sleeping pad, bivy vs. groundsheet and seam sealing the pack are the big ones.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

If he's got a pack liner, why does he need a pack cover at all?

I'm not sure I'd suggest the neo air small for snow camping, you seem to be something of the exception to the rule in regards to the neoair warmth Dan(read: mutant)… ;)

But bender can always make you a smaller lighter pad.

I'm guessing the reason he doesn't ditch the bivy is because he has the hexamid without netting.

Here's something I learned from my recent peru trip: Never leave the bug bivy at home and only use a tarp in giant tarantula country! Oh yeah, and I've got literally over 100 black fly bites that are still healing.

My one suggestion: Ditch the stuff sack for the quilt, it's redundant. Just stuff the quilt in the bottom of your pack liner and let the rest of your gear compress it. That helps you avoid needing to use any compression on your pack, and keeps your quilt from needing more loft time from being compressed. Win Win.

I generally use my pack liner, maybe one stuff sack for strictly organizational ease, and then a blast food bag, quilt and any extra clothing go in the pack liner/compactor bag, everything else goes in either the stuff sack or just the pack body if it's ok to not get wet. 9 times out of ten though it's just the liner and the food bag, and I've never had a problem with that. That being said, I understand the need to separate some stuff
    to keep you from going insane.

Cheers Brian, your gear list is pretty locked.

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Thanks for the feedback guys, some great ideas so far.

Maybe I have to many systems to keep my gear dry. The scenario I am most concerned about (been there!) is 33F and all day rain. There is nowhere to hide and it is imperative that my insulation stays dry. The pack cover does seem pointless though with a cuben pack and a liner. I plan to seam seal the pack immediately. I will also make a .51 cuben packliner. I have a few ideas on how to keep it very light and simple.

Socks. I carry three pairs total, one pair worn and two carried. I agree the Defeet Levitator lite socks are great. Yes, switching out to 2x Defeet and 1x smartwool is good idea.

Cuben Rain Mitts. Awesome idea, I will looking into this. I am constantly taking my shell mitts on and off to regulate temperature anyway. I usually loop them over my hip belt so I can take them on and off while walking.

Sleeping pad. This is the only idea I don't care for. I sleep cold and don't want to give up that much R value. I have been thinking about having Bender make me a new pad to simplify the system. My reading here has helped me understand how important the insulation provided by a good pad is. There are nights where it is in the 40's and 50's, but I do not want to sacrifice the performance at low temperatures. If I am awake and cold every night I won't have a enjoyable trip.

The hexamid is a great shelter but very small. If it rain all night the dry area inside the hexamid is not huge. A bivy adds a little to my sleep system and makes the hexamid very usable. I also have a MLD grace solo in cuben which I love.

I had not heard about the Icebreaker mittens at 52g, I will be ordering a pair to check them out. Sounds very promising.

Getting rid of the quilt stuff sack. This is going to be hard for me to do. I am very attached to it! I will give it a shot on my next trip and see how it works. For me it is the last waterproof layer protecting my most important item to keep dry. When I have to carry six days of food maximum space is needed.

Thanks for the ideas guys!
    Here is a picture of the two MYOG .33 stuff sacks I made so far. One is for my TP and the other for my 'other essentials'. They weigh 1.4g each compared the Zpacks stuff sacks I was using at 3.0g and 3.2g.

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

You have a great list there Brian! The only thing that I see that no one else has touched on is that you have 2 flashlights. The Fenix light and the Photon freedom. I take a freedom with me all the time and have found it to be plenty sufficient. I keep the clip with me so I can clip it to my hat for a headlamp as well. You can also clip it to a beanie and it works just as well. You could save about an ounce nixing the fenix and spare battery.

Also, did the LT3's get to you in the mail ok?

And, I just picked up a Hexamid Solo w/o the net as well and am wanting to do some light winter trekking with it and am curious about things staying dry. Do you find you have plenty of room to store clothing not worn and other items under the tarp. Also, do you find you need the full protection from the bivy or would a half moon no-see-um or full no-see-um window suffice?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I believe these are the 52g merino gloves. They are quite durable. They don't feel like a wimpy liner glove:
    http://www.icebreaker.com/site/icebreaker_man_gloves_320_glove_320.html?thumb_value=Java

Regarding rain and the quilt sack, I feel comfortable trusting a seam sealed cuben pack to keep out 99% of the water. In addition, I use a dry sack style cuben sack to ensure my down quilt stays 100% dry. For other gear (ie. clothes) I use a bonded cuben sack which keeps out 99% of the water. I don't feel the need to add a pack liner or cover this as well since you've already got redundant protection with the cuben pack and cuben stuff sacks.

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Hi Brian, ditching the extra light is a great idea. There is no reason to carry two light sources. I will keep the Fenix and get rid of the photon though. I use the light for several hours each day so the extra power and easy change batteries are worth it. I generally start hike about two hours before sunrise. Hiking into the dawn is my favorite part of the day. Also any miles I cover before sunrise are 'free miles'.

Received the LT3 poles, thanks.

The Hexamid solo is a pretty minimal shelter. You can keep yourself and your gear dry with careful positioning. Depending on the conditions windblown rain or snow can come in. I would definitely recommend a bivy although I'm sure some people can do without. At night I don't really have much gear that is not being used, anything extra I stuff into my backpack and use for a pillow. I can't comment on the netting as I don't have that option. I would not use the Hexamid without a bivy unless the weather looked very promising.

Hi Dan, thanks for the link to the gloves. I'm going to put an order together and get a bunch of Icebreaker stuff to check out. I'm interested in some of the 200 and 260 weight wool for winter use.

Here is what I am going to do for rain protection. Ditch the cuben rain cover, pack liner, and sleeping bag stuff sack saving 78g. I will add a cuben pack liner that I just made which weighs 13g. I will seam seal the pack and pack liner. A total savings of over 2oz.

Any tips on seam sealing the pack? There is a lot of stitching!

Here are a couple pictures of the pack liner I just made. I cloned the pastic MLD pack liner out of .51 cuben. I wanted to keep it very simple and left the top edge raw. I will just roll it and tuck in the sides against my ccf pad.

I'm now at 6.24lb base and just need to seam seal a couple items.

cuben pack cover

cuben pack cover 2

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Six days of TP should weigh zero, and no stuff sack needed.

…and listed as essential?

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

"Six days of TP should weigh zero, and no stuff sack needed."

huh? explain..

Justin C
    BPL Member

@paintballr4life

Locale: East Coast

I believe Mike means that he should not bring TP at all. Therefore no extra weght.

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

Mike doesn't believe in TP :) I'm slowly trying to evolve towards this method, I'm hiking the PCT next year and am trying to wrap my head around not taking any tp.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Maybe don't bring any TP. But you can bring an ounce or two of thin writing paper on a cardboard spool.

–B.G.–

David Ure

@familyguy

Remind me never to shake hands with Mike.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

yea im going to stick with Bob's idea.. i already get the itchy ass on the trail.. no need to exacerbate that with leaves or whatever methods used..

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Remind me never to shake hands with Mike."

Or eat from the same pot, Eastern style.

Unknown abc

@edude

"Remind me never to shake hands with Mike."

"Or eat from the same pot, Eastern style."

*Remembers back to Ben's ostracization* hmmmmm

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Brian,

You have a nice list, and I LOVE anyone who takes pride in homemade gear.

I would advocate taking some soap. This can be as light as 0.6 oz in a tiny repackaged vessle. I consider soap a require bit of gear, as far as hygene. (Plus, an important first aid tool)

I advocate not taking toilet paper in these forums – and I always end up being made fun of – but it is VERY easy and sanitary. And washing your hands after doing your duty is required, even with toilet paper.

Here's an article from a while back:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/toilet_paper_free.html

peace,
    Mike C!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools