Topic

Once and For all… Best Rain Pants under 7 oz?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Once and For all… Best Rain Pants under 7 oz?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Spray it with silicon and the breathability is gone.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I used to use O2 Rainwear (still wish they made them in other colors), and I've also used the Driducks/Drop Stopper brand, and compared to those Propore garments I would say Tyvek is more durable, but less breathable. I think that's OK for a pair of rain/wind pants, but I'll continue to carry my Driducks jacket – it breathes better.

I've only used my Tyvek pants for one season, but they don't look very worn at all. I'm guessing they'll be good for 2-3 seasons of trail hiking.

A
    BPL Member

@lurkinart

Locale: The Wild.

I'de like to get a durabale quality rain pants, so I think Tyvek is out,

I'm assuming the Reed Pants are not breathable?

I was considering the Rab Off Limits, but emailed the site that was selling them, as they had it listed at 7.9 oz vs the 6.1 oz that rab was listing, and asked about the weight discrepancy.

They said:

"Our Off Limits is the current model – manufacturers often get their weights wrong because they weigh samples not the production model – so we weigh the gear ourselves and quote our own measurements. I have re-weighed the Off Limits
    pants and our weight of 7.9oz is correct."

Seems odd that there would be this big a discrepancy between Rab and this website. Who is correct?

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Since were discussing tyvek, im throwing in Frogg Toggs. Been using them for the last few years, they inevitably get holes which i repair with duc tape, but so would tyvek.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

These 7.2 oz pants never seem to get mentioned. Reason????
    Anyone have these???

â– 30-denier Ballistic rip-stop nylon with 3-layer Gore-Tex Pro Shell
    ■20-denier Ballistic rip-stop nylon with Stretch Gore-Tex Paclite®
    â– Size: S/ M/ L/ XL
    â– Color: SHAD(Shadow)

â– Weight (size med): 7.2 oz.
    Compresses: 3.6’’ x 3.6’’ x 5.9’’ (stuff sack included)

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My guess would be the price tag. $179 for rain pants is pretty steep in my opinion.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

Just got a pair of Reeds in yesterday. Quick hike in the pouring rain that hit the NE yesterday. Awesome!!! Dry as a bone and seemed to breath quite well for a a 2 mile hike in the 50's and a lot of rain.

Me likey

A
    BPL Member

@lurkinart

Locale: The Wild.

Mark, was it Men's Reed? If so, how did you get your hands on one?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Roger, who is this guy?

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

When I lived down under, the price of rainpants like started at 170.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Roger, who is this guy?
    What guy?
    :-)
    Dead Spammer

cheers

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

I had a chance last week to try on and play with the thunderhead pants. I was amazed at the quality of the construction, and the comfort of the fit. My preference is to have reasonably lightweight clothing that will survive normal activity without needing special treatment. These pants look like they will fit the bill for my new rain shell pants. The material is tough enough for me; I won't worry a lot about where I sit. They are comfortable enough that I will be able to use them as an extra layer when sleeping in marginal temperatures for my sleeping bag. When I read the description of these pants, I expected them to be somewhat stiff like many Gore-Tex items; instead, they drape like normal pants. Mont-bell goes on sale at a few sites periodically, so I'll wait for a sale, but I do think they are worth the cost.
    Jim

Justin R
    Spectator

@5150bronco

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.

Where are the other places that montbell go on sale?

I am looking into something similar to the reeds or thunderhead.

What are you going combining with your pants to keep pack waterproof or boots?

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools