Topic

Best emergency radio (for home and car camping)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best emergency radio (for home and car camping)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

My wife and I like to keep an emergency radio at home and in the car (and for car camping) and our old Eton FR400 hand crank radio just went on us. It's covered under REI's exchange/return policy.

When I looked up current Eton radios on REI, all except 3 had bad reviews. The 3 models with 3 1/2 stars or better were:

-Eton American Red Cross MicroLink FR160 (4.5 stars) $30
    -Eton American Red Cross Microlink FR160 Multi-Purpose (4 stars) $30 (same model as above)
    -Eton Scorpion Multi-Purpose Radio (3.5 stars) $50

Can anyone recommend the FR160 or any other brands and models? Not wedded to Eton.

Just ran into a flock of wild turkeys at one of our nearest hiking trails. Happy Thanksgiving!

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I should mention the following beyond AM/FM would be pluses:

-Power cord for home use
    -NOAA weather stations
    -Shortwave radio reception
    -Rechargeable
    -Hand crank rechargeable
    -Solar rechargeable

USB cell phone charging like the FR160 often doesn't work well (tons of cranking for little power), but don't mind if it's there.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

can't help, but am subscribing- we need to get one

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have looked at a lot of hand-crank radios and have yet to see one that wasn't a toy. I would be happy to hear otherwise. IMHO, you might as well have a battery powered radio and carry spares, which could be used in other equipment.

The CountyComm GP4L is a simple, small radio with analog tuning, a digital readout, speaker, and telescoping antenna. It has a headphone jack as well. It receives AM, FM and four short wave bands (no weather channels). There is an LED light built in and it all runs on 2 AA batteries. See http://www.countycomm.com/gp4light.htm

The Sony Sony SRF-M37W covers AM/FM and weather, but requires a headphone/earbuds. The SRF-M85W has similar features in a jogger/armband oriented package.

My current favorite UL radio is the Sony SRF-S84. It is AM/FM analog tuning (no weather channels) and uses earbuds. It runs on a single AAA battery. Reception and sound quality are excellent. You will need to search online to get a deal— it is not "officially" imported to the US. I got mine on eBay. You may also find it sold as an SRF-S86. http://www1.jp.sonystyle.com/Qnavi/Product/SRF-S86/

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I have and a crankable radio last 3 years, and its still going strong. Its an amazing little thing. Solar powered are also an option IMO. The red cross ones are made tough, my dad has one. It really feels well made.

http://sportys.com/PreferredLiving/product/14698/?&utm_source=Google%2BBase&utm_medium=comparisonshopping&utm_campaign=MerchantCenter

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ the redcross one you linked is a Eton FR600

I wouldn't mind a small battery operated one, but I definitely want the NOAA channels on any radio I purchase

Ceph Lotus
    BPL Member

@cephalotus

Locale: California

I'm surprised you overlooked the Eton Scorpion. It is a flashlight/radio/USB cell phone charger, and is powered by hand crank and/or solar power. It is also water resistant.

http://www.amazon.com/SCORPION-NSP100OR-Multi-Purpose-Powered-Digital/dp/B003BYRKIW/

* Digital AM FM Radio Tuner, NOAA Weather Band, Built-In LED Flashlight, Large Solar Panel, Crank Powered, USB Cell Phone Charger
    * Audio Line Input, Aluminum Carabiner, Splashproof, Rugged Exterior Skin, Battery Charge Indicator
    * Bottle Opener, No Batteries Needed, DC Power
    * Dimensions: 5.25-Inch x 2.5-Inch x 1.75-Inch (W x H x D), 133 x 63.5 x 44.45 mm (W x H x D)
    * Weight: 8.5 oz. (241 g)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!