Topic

repair kit item

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear repair kit item

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Awhile back I was splicing some cable that had been torn up by an excavator. After doing the splices I used shrink tubing and a heat gun to reinsulate them. It dawned on me that it might be worth throwing a short piece into my pack.
    Last weekend I broke a tent pole out so made a internal splint out of forest products and slipped a piece of shrink tube over it and heated it with a bic.
    This stuff comes in all diameters and will cover quite a range at that, like quarter inch to five-eights. Keep it just out of the flame and roll it around a bit. There is also some that has silicone in it for waterproofing.
    The other great electrical product are zip ties, not much of a secret there.
    Both weigh almost nothing.
    When I got home I cut the shrink off with a razor put an external repair splint on it and then re-shrink tubed it.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools