Topic

Isle Royale: must do’s?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Isle Royale: must do’s?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

What are some of the must see trails, campgrounds, and sights on the island?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Anyone?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Travis, some ideas from my limited personal experience:

-The Minong Ridge is for sure a must do, especially the section from Washington Creek to Todd Harbor. The mix of ridge walking with occasional big views, boardwalks, forest sections, and beaver dam crossings make it super entertaining and aesthetic. Don't believe the hype about it being super hard or hard to follow. It's not a dirt sidewalk like some of the trails on the island, but that's a good thing!

-Todd Harbor is an awesome, awesome campsite. Very nice pebble beach, and a dock for swimming (if you brave the cold water!). I imagine Little Todd is even better, but haven't been there myself.

-Desor North did not come highly recommended, but I found it to be very nice. The sites are just a bit back from the lake in a nice open old-growth aspen forest, and while the lakeshore is bare rock there are spots to hang out and watch the sunset. The short spur trail to the Minong is a nice meandering, gentle descent through the same lovely forest.

-Daisy Farm is huge and has lots of people, but is quite a nice location. A great pebble beach. The Daisy Farm trail down from the ridge was also pretty neat, some cool boardwalks over big bogs.

-The coast trail from Daisy over to the Mt Franklin trail is good walking, some rocky bits but overall fast and easy. You get some good views of the lake and islands (and park headquarters), and there are some neat mine ruins right off trail.

-The Tobin Harbor trail is a speedy alternative to the last few miles to Rock Harbor. Flat and smooth through the forest, with fewer people. A bit buggy though.

In short, the idea to stay either on the coast or up on ridges seems to be a pretty good one. Though I'm sure it will be rough going, I really want to do some off trail hiking on my next trip there.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks yet again David.

I'm using Wikimapia's ruler function to measure how long some of the open water expanses would be. It's going to be a big help in figuring out some packrafting routes.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Pretty cool site! Hadn't heard of it before. Impressive sat resolution.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools