Topic

Sleeping Pad…Which Side UP??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping Pad…Which Side UP??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Cockrell

@tylercockrell

I have a nightlight sleeping pad (this is a pad with egg crate pattern on one side and flat on one side) and I am wondering which is the best side to sleep on. It seems to me that the flat side is much more comfortable. But what about thermal qualities? What side do you use?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The egg crate side should face up. Both the material and the air in between are supposed to help insulate you from the cold ground.

On the other hand, if it isn’t cold, you can use whichever side is more comfortable to you.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I’ve used a similar pad, the Mt. Washington pad, and was also more comfortable with the flat side facing up. Down to about 30F, either side facing up was warm enough for me.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

I prefer the flat side up, too. I didn’t notice a difference in insulation quality, but I did notice a difference in comfort.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I prefer the flat side up, egg crate side down.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Ditto. It’s much more comfortable – and easier to move around on – with the flat side up.

For cold conditions, I would reverse that for reasons already listed.

WB

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

If you are in spindrift, fog, or rain crate side up
    will fill with water or snow and you can’t brush or
    wipe it away.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools