Topic

Snow Camping in the Sierra

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Snow Camping in the Sierra

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

The snow is here, and how!

I'm planning a snow trip for the weekend of Dec 11/12.

It's just a quick out-and-back at Pinecrest. I have a buddy who has never been and wants to give it a go. So Aspen Meadows near Pinecrest is an easy, safe, known-quantity.

I'm going to try out my new skis and Greg will be on snowshoes.

Anybody is welcome to come along.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

What is that, three or four miles in?

Do you plan to camp on the surface or under the snow?

–B.G.–

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Aspen Meadow third time ? Don't want to try something new? I am sure even in that area we could find something else… are you up for suggestions from anyone or are you set?

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Yeah, three or four miles or so. Steady gradually uphill on the way in. Nice little walk with excellent campsites.

Kat – I know, third time. I'm not stuck on it and am open to suggestions.

It's just easy, safe and known. Plus, I'm too busy to research anyplace new.

Do you have any ideas?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Lake Thomas Edison

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Isn't the Kaiser Pass Road awfully difficult or closed in the winter?

It's no fun, even in the middle of the summer.

–B.G.–

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Do you have any suggestions Bob?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

I know Bob–Inside joke with David–That road is brutal in any season..

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Inside Yosemite, perhaps?

Glacier Point Road, Badger Pass to Westfall Meadow. Or, Badger Pass to Dewey Point. Or, Badger Pass to Bridalveil Campground. Note that the road to Badger gets an R3 chain restriction if it snows.

Crane Flat to Crane Fire Lookout.

It kind of depends on where the snow is deep enough for skis or snowshoes.

–B.G.–

David Lutz

@davidlutz

easier to get to Florence?

; ))

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

It is if you don't like hiking. :)

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

The view at Dewey Point is incredible payoff for a easy 3-4 mile jaunt. The Mariposa Grove is a great spot in the winter for a ski/snowshoe trip but its a bit of a drive for people coming from the bay.

If my schedule allows, I am interested in joining you Dave. I am open to anything.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I'm in depending how far we have to drive. David I wouldn't mind doing the whole trip we had to cut short last time, that was a nice little hike, all though some times STEEP! but fun, with great views and perfect snow.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

At David W. if we go lets car pool if we can time it right.

Dave T

@davet

Just came back up the east side. LOTS of snow in the High Sierra, down to 4000'. More snow falling over the summit.

Be safe out there. Winter has arrived.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I will be heading in the weekend before you guys are. I waiting to hear the ultimate Sierra Snowshoe trip!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I've been snow camping in the Sierras for over 30 years, and I can tell you that one of the biggest problems is to find a safe place to park your car. In a few areas, there are Sno-Park lots. That requires a daily permit.

I've parked on the shoulder of a plowed road, off the pavement, and had my car completely buried by the snow plows to the point where it took an hour to dig out.

In the national parks, typically there are a few parking lots plowed out. Still, you need to carry at least one shovel per group, plus maybe have more in the car.

–B.G.–

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

+ 1 Bob. Also ice scrapers for the windows. Plus good to have shovels in your group – you may not be able to get into the car right away.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Greg – Where are you going?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I just read up on Dewey point, and it does sound like a really nice snowshoe trip.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Dewey sounds good to me. How far is it from your house David W.?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

The good news about Dewey Point is that the view is super. The bad news is that it is only about four miles from Badger to there, and due to that short distance, it is a favorite among the daytrippers from Badger. So, the four miles out will not be exactly a wilderness experience. There is no running water at all around Dewey Point, so snow melting will be necessary. If you head east along the rim, you will reach Bridalveil Creek, and it commonly has flowing water under ice.

I've been there about twenty times.

The main ski area parking lot at Badger is very useful. There is a ranger station at Badger, so they can issue you a free overnight wilderness permit and also give you a free overnight parking permit for your car.

–B.G.–

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Bob, does this hike require a bear dumpster, I mean canister?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Hmmm. I will certainly admit that I have never carried a bear canister anywhere in Yosemite during the winter. But I am not the authority.

There are food storage problems in Yosemite during the winter, but those are solved by other methods. Come to think of it, I have never seen black bear tracks in the snow in Yosemite.

–B.G.–

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I don't know if this is true, but someone in Truckee told me that the bears tend to move close to towns in winter for the easy food.

I've never heard of anyone carrying a bear canister in Yosemite in the middle of winter, but I've only been in this part of the country for a short time.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools