Topic

JMT Gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT Gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Ainsworth
    Spectator

@jainsworth123

Locale: Greater LA area

I'm trying to get my gear list paired down a little more. This will be used for the JMT this summer doing a yo-yo, and I would like to do the PCT the year after, but we'll have to see about that.
    Right now my current problems are clothing mainly. My carried is almost 3lbs, and I would really like to pair it down. The two things that really stand out to me are the windshirt and wool bottoms for sleeping.
    I would also like to get a lighter shelter and have been looking at tarp/bivy combos, but there seem to be so many options there. Any advice for that?

Big 4:
    WM Summerlite +32 19
    ULA CDT Pack 17
    Gossamer Gear Squall 25
    Neo Air Pad 14
    75 4.69

Cooking and hydration:
    powerade 1 liter 1
    Powerade 1 liter 1
    Ursack 8
    Caldera cone system 6.2
    Sea to summit Spork 0.2
    Total: 16.4 1.03

Clothes carried
    Western Mountaineering Down Jacket 9
    wool socks 1
    wool bottoms sleeping 10
    Wool beanie 1.5
    Marmot windshirt 10
    gloves 2
    Dri ducks Jacket 4
    Dri Ducks pants 4
    41.5 2.59

Misc
    Lighter 1
    Waterproof stuff sacks for bag and clothes 3
    maps 0.5
    tp 0.25
    waterproof matches 0.5
    Fire starter 0.75
    permit 0.25
    car key 1
    headlamp 1
    first aid: 8
    Gauze
    band aids
    exedrin
    ibuprofen
    blister aids
    tooth brush
    dr bronners soap
    sun screen
    chapstick
    duct tape
    water purifier tablets
    16.25 1.02

Base weight 149.15 9.32

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Am1RrXvZY5v8dEtEQnZKMnRSZXRxbUNBRlJqUGFxd2c&hl=en#gid=0

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

For sleeping I use patagonia capilene 2 pants. They weigh about 5.7 oz. That would knock a little off compared to your wool pants. You can definitely save weight on the shelter if you're willing to go with a tarp and bivy setup. Some people enjoy an enclosed shelter though. Total weight will depend on materials and size of the tarp. My Tigoat Ptarmigan Bivy is 7 oz. and the GG Spinntwinn tarp (larger tarp) I had was 11 oz with guylines and stakes.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

i did the jmt this summer and found that i really didn't need a windshirt.. i didn't have one either though.. but nor did i think i needed it. there were a few windy days but i just threw one my marmot mica(same as ur dryduck) and it worked fine. its isn't the most breathable but the only reason i had it on is for the wind and the wind took care of any any moisture accumulating in the jacket..

and in terms of pants.. it looks like the wool leggings are the only thing you have.. while you obviously don't want to get rid of those all together because those are your only long bottoms. you could switch to a synthetic.. prob save 3-4 oz. i had a silk longjohn and convertible pants and they were both a lifesaver for mosquitos and cold windy evenings.

and if the snow season was anything like last i could consider adding a mosquito headnet to your list. i used one all but 1-2 evenings/mornings..

Joseph Ainsworth
    Spectator

@jainsworth123

Would you substitute something else in other than the rain jacket and puffy? I feel like that will keep me warm enough when stopped (the puffy is good for me down to about 35 or so with a beanie and gloves), but am trying to figure out hiking/breaks. That is where I used the windshirt mainly.
    Would you recommend a pair of convertibels instead of the shorts? Would add a little weight overall, but might allow me to nix the wool bottoms?
    I do remember last year, the mosquitoes were horrible. Even at 11,000 feet and windy we had some. What's my lightest option there?

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

Thought I would share my clothing list I used for my JMT hike. My trip was August 21 thru Sept. 5

Worn

Smartwool Micro Boxer Brief 4oz
    Patagonia Stretch Jackalope Pant 13oz (Rock Guide similar)
    Railriders Adventure Top 7oz
    OR Sun Runner Cap

Carried

Montbell EX. Light 7oz
    Patagonia Houdini 3.7oz
    OR Zealot 8oz
    Cap 4 zip T 7oz
    Cap 2 Bottom 5.5oz
    Fleece Gloves 2oz
    Fleece Beanie 2oz

I chose pants and long sleeves to avoid using sunscreen. I didn't bring rain pants since my pants were quick drying and I had cap 2 to sleep in. I would sleep in the cap 4 top and hike in it in the morning until I warmed up and then switch to the Adventure top. Houdini is great for bugs (weren't many that time of year) Houdini, cap 4, beanie and gloves were warm enough for the early am start up Whitney. Ex. Light was plenty warm for around camp.

Ryan

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

You haven't said how many days or miles per day you are planning but unless you are doing 30+ a day you need a bear canister to stay legal. Also, you haven't stated resupply but you are unlikely to be able to fit all of your food in an ursack from MTR till whitney which is your longest haul unless you are exiting the trail at Bishop or Independence.

For the JMT/PCT I wear a long sleeve Cap 1 or equivalent, long pants, boxer briefs, Wrightsocks, visor and bandanna. (That's 22.5oz plus shoes) Carried would be a 2.8oz windshirt and a Montbell ex light, balacleva and glove liners. (All except windshirt would be worn to bed.)

Joseph Ainsworth
    Spectator

@jainsworth123

I'm seeing the cap 4 as 9.5 oz on the patagucci website. That puts it in the realm of my windshirt, and I assume about the same warmth? (marmot driclime). I will probably have to pick up a pair of the cap 2 bottoms and ditch the rain pants which should put me in the 2lb flat range. Do you know where I can find something similar to the houdini / wild things/ etc windshirts still in stock? Those things are a pain to find.

Joseph Ainsworth
    Spectator

@jainsworth123

I plan on finishing in 7-10 days, probably 10 (I'm budgeting 10 for the elevation factor). That being said 1-2 30 mile days would be just fine with me.
    Now instead of doubling back and having to go through all that again, would continuing north or south along the PCT be better? I would love to be able to knock off a chunk of it, as I plan to finish it in 2012.
    And IIRC the MTR is about 100 miles from the finish no? That should be no more than 5 days (hopefully), I've squeezed in 7 in the ursack. In fact, that should be my only resupply. Unless you guys can recommend one that I can hike out to around the half way point (20 miles or so either way), and not pay the 50$.

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

I used the old Patagonia R.5 top but the Cap 4 is the new version, didn't realize it had gone up in weight so much.

For a windshirt you could try the Marmot Trail Wind Hoody

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

I went North to South with a resupply at Vermilion Valley Resort. It is about 130 miles (7 days for me) from there south to Whitney. It is more time consuming to get to the resort versus MTR but it is cheaper and you can have a great meal or two.

Ryan

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

I use convertible pants on the JMT–in fact everywhere. My hiking partner last summer used long johns (not sure of type) and shorts but he is not exactly a UL guy. Two years ago I carried lightweight marino wool bottoms to supplement my sleeping system. Last year I switched to silk (I liked the feel better) but both worked. I use a Montane windshirt which I occasionally wear for brief periods in the morning or evening. I also carry a Montbell thermawrap parka and use it primarily on cold nights for sleeping–rarely have I put it on at other times.
    I stopped carrying my dri-duck bottoms after my 2009 hike and have since switched to a dri-duck poncho. Last year I never used it but I was on the JMT in late Aug–I did run into hail-rain but had my tent set up when it hit.
    You really need to address the bear canister issue.
    A lot depends on when your hiking, how cold you sleep etc.
    I like to think in terms of how cold am I good for if I wear everything I'm carrying. If I can stay comfortable into the 20's then I should be good to go in the Sierras.
    I know this was brought up before but–Bear Canister?

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Starting in Yosemite Valley you will need to get out of the park to be legal or stay at Tuolumne Meadows. It is 36.7 across Donohue plus a couple of more to find a place to camp out of the rocks. Staying at Tuolumne could keep you legal but then you have no flexibility where to stop.

I would not yo-yo. If you have the time I would do a combo JMT/SHR trip (If you haven't heard of the Sierra High Route get Roper's book) While some of the high route follows the JMT you will be adding some much more interesting locations such as Marion Lake, Dusy Basin and Second Recess. I also wouldn't be held hostage to doing the whole JMT. The portion from the Valley to TM is frankly rather boring compared with other possiblities. If it were me (and I have done both the JMT and most of the SHR) I would start at TM, go to Whitney then go over to Roads End via Lake South America and Harrison pass and start up the SHR. Time permitting you would end up back at TM with a trip of about 330 miles and you would have seen some of the finest scenery in the Sierras. Keep in mind that the SHR is mostly cross country. Your mileage could drop in half for the off trail sections.

Joseph Ainsworth
    Spectator

@jainsworth123

yea, that thing's still 5oz, and my driclime is a hair under 9. Not sure I want to spend 70$ to drop 3-4oz and some warmth. Do you think it would be wise to just eliminate it all together? That would only leave me with the dri ducks and the puffy. Very little layering options, even though I would be fine in the coldest and hottest parts of the day.

Joseph Ainsworth
    Spectator

@jainsworth123

I looked up the SHR and found skurka's take on it. Looks like a blast. Would I only be doing about 100 miles of the SHR? I would almost rather just do that instead and do the whole thing, budget 15 days or so.
    And I assume that the ursack is illegal there too? Stupid canisters.
    I do appreciate the info on it though. I'll pick up the guidebook next week and give it a look through.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

You would only be required to have a canister in Yosemite which is 2-3 days at the end. If you are going to resupply, do it at Reds and send in a canister.

Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

Locale: Southwest Louisiana

I'll just say that I ended up bailing out, due to a freak snowstorm last August. I decided to leave my warmest clothing behind to cut down my pack weight. Also, a ranger in Inyo National Forest asked if my food was in a bear canister.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools