Topic

Gorilla Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gorilla Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

Hey all –

I know there is no shortage of talk about the GG Gorilla around here, but searching through posts left me with a few questions. I hope I'm not being too repetitive.

1) what would the maximum tolerable weight be? I realize ideal comfort probably maxes out around 25-27lbs, but on a long haul between water sources, with a bear canister(early in hike and full of food), carrying gear for my wife or any of those other things that conspire to increase pack weights. Would it be ok up to 35 or even 40lbs?

2) Can a z-rest be substituted for the back pad? Will it fit into the pad compartment? Probably cut down to just 6 panels and maybe trimmed. Does anyone else do this? I love everything I read about this pack, but don't know if I'll ever use that provided pad for anything but the pack frame.

Thats really it. Other than that, I'm totally sold.

Thanks all!

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

bump

Todd Hein
    BPL Member

@todd1960

Locale: Front Range

I'd contact GG directly to ask these questions. They'll be straight with you. I've bought many items from them and they provide excellent service.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Never used one myself, but as you say there's been much talk about the Gorilla. Google around a bit and you'll find a lot of reviews and posts (mostly here) where these issues are discussed or addressed.

1. Sounds to me that you have your answer, but are hoping to find someone who will say that 35 or 40 lbs would be comfortable. It may be tolerable for a stretch, but if you really need to carry that kind of weight you should be looking at pack which is designed to carry 35-40 lbs. Also, if that's the kind of load you'll be carrying, will the Gorilla's 40L capacity going to actually hold all of your gear?

2. It sounds like you can- other people do it. Sounds like some folks use a 2-segment wide bit of Z-Rest, some more and stacked on top of one another. I'd just email GoG with that question- they're pretty responsive.

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

The pad sleeve of a Gorilla will hold a Z-rest pad. I personally don't do this with my Gorilla, but my hiking buddy does this with a Miniposa which is the same size as the Gorilla sans the alumminum stay & more robust material.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I've tried my gorilla with a zrest 3/4 and it fits but feels like the pack is too far from my back. I think I read somewhere else that GG doesn't recommend using a zrest for this reason.

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Thanks for chiming in everyone.

The comments about the pad fitting, but putting the load too far away from the back are something I was concerned about. The gorilla still sounds like the ideal pack for me!

maybe the sit pad can double rolled up as my pillow, or supplement my sleep pad at my feet or hips or something.

edit content and spelling

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

cut the zrest in half at the point where it doesnt push out the load away from yr back as much

stuff the other half in yr back

join the 2 toghether when sleeping … you can make a velcro flap to keep the pads attached

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools