Topic

Coming Soon: Silnylon Hammock/Tarp Hybrid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Coming Soon: Silnylon Hammock/Tarp Hybrid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hey Everyone,

Ever since my cuben fiber hammock/tarp hybrid failed I have been testing a silnylon version. It is hands down the coolest piece of gear I own. I can use it as a hammock, shelter, tent vestibule, ground cloth, camp chair, rain cape, emergency bivy, etc…

I plan to start selling these soon. The will most likely sell for $100.00 and come with the hammock, a cuben stuff sack and 2 lightweight carabiners.

Tree slings most likely wont be included due to the high demand for whoopie slings and other custom hammock suspension but I plan to offer an accessory kit for around $25.00 which will include 2 webbing tree slings, 50' of accessory cord and 8 tent pegs.

The hammock is built using Made in the USA 30D Silicone Nylon 6,6 and sewn using a V46 Bonded Nylon Thread. It has 8 3/4" nylon grosgrain tieout points that are double bartacked onto the silnylon body.

The size and weights are as follows:

Hammock: 114" long by 64" wide (9'6"x5'4") 9.91oz (281grams)

Cuben Stuffsack: 8" tall by 6" wide .24oz (7grams)

Camp Nano 23 Carabiners: 1.62oz(46grams)

Now for some photo's (For size comparison I am 6'1 200lbs):

Mountainfitter Silnylon Hammock/Tarp Hybrid

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

Very, very cool. I am neither a hammock nor tarp camper but I will probably order one!

Sid Riddle

@shiree

Locale: Southeastern US

Very nice, this is a very innovative idea.
    It obviously wont be an elite product as a hammock or a tarp, but it versatility is a sell for me.
    Count me in if you are able to produce at $100

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Put me down as another early sale!!!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

This is great! Would make a really good present. When will this be available?

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Im in for one plus the accessory gizmo when avail

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I should have them available by the end of next week as long as I can get the Nano23 carabiners. I will also add quite a bit more photo's showing various setups and plan on making a Youtube video on all ways you can use this thing.

My prototype models have linelocks at all the tie-out points and was thinking of including them on the production model. Any thoughts?

On thing I want to note. This is a full size hammock and can be used just for hanging. As you can see in the photo's it hangs really flat and this is due to the high quality nylon and silicone coating which helps to give it extra memory.

Chad Helmke
    BPL Member

@the-gear-recycler

Locale: High Rockies

Awesome! Only 5 oz more than my Grand Trunk Nano but WAY more versatile. Was going to make my own based on the GTN but heck, might as well just get one from you! Can' wait!

Line locks would be great BTW.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Nice job Lawson. Will you be selling the Camp 'biners separately as well? That would be a mighty fine scenario!

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Would you like to see a simple rope type like hanging kit included with the hammock/tarp combo that way its ready to hang right out of the box or would you prefer to pay more and it come with tree straps and a whoopie sling?

Thanks for all the valuable feedback.

Lawson

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I would sell the premium hang kit separately from the hammock. Sell the hang kit by itself for $30, or $25 when bought in conjunction with your hammock body.(these figures are arbitrary but you see where I'm going). That way others could possibly upgrade their current setup with your product. All kinds of things you can do here.

p.s. – I think you have to include a basic rope attachment with each hammock so that it's usable upon receipt.

Ryan

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Lawson,
    That is indeed a stellar piece of gear! Well done! Best of luck with your sales.

Regards,
    John

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

1. Still have to carry a tarp for when used in hammock mode?

2. What about condensation due to silnylon fabric coming up sides when in hammock mode?

Patrick Browning
    BPL Member

@optimator

Yeah, condensation will really be an issue with a sil hammock.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I can't say I have ever had or heard of a condensation issue with a tarp. Maybe its the way you setting up your tarp?

As far as in hammock mode goes thats not really an issue either. Maybe were talking different terminology?

Patrick Browning
    BPL Member

@optimator

No, I've never had condensation with a tarp either. But a sil hammock wont breath. If sil was a viable material for hammock bodies it would have been done by one of the established makers already.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Though I agree that silnylon doesn't breath, this has little to do with how breathable a hammock is. Alot of the uncoated hammocks made by "established" companies use an uncoated Nylon 6 which is very stretchy material. These hammocks are by far the hottest thing you have ever laid in since they actually surround your entire body. They stretch to the point that you feel like your a hot dog in a hammock bun.

The most breathable hammock I have ever had the pleasure of owning was built using cuben fiber which as you know is not a breathable material. The reason the hammock felt so airy was because it didn't surround you and really only made contact with your back.

Silnylon 6,6 has quite a bit more stretch then cuben fiber but nothing like an uncoated nylon 6. A silnylon hammock surrounds you a little more then cuben hammock but you never have that hot dog in the bun feeling.

Living in Florida gives me ample opportunity to test hot and humid conditions and this hammock worked great even in the summer. If you have any doubts please head over to hammockforums.net and read all you can about silnylon hammocks. They receive quite a bit of positive feedback.

Patrick Browning
    BPL Member

@optimator

When I speak of "established" I mean the likes of Warbonnet Outdoors, JRB, Ed Speer, Tree to Tree, Hennessey, etc…. These guys know what their doing. You haven't seen 1 silnylon hammock from any of them. There is a reason for that. I do wish you good luck with your product though!

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Please keep in mind their hammocks are designed and made for hammock use only. They serve only one purpose. The hammock/tarp hybrid on the other hand is a multi use piece of gear designed for a full range of applications. It can be used as a hammock, tarp, ground cover, emergency bivy, rain cape and anything else you can think of.

Their hammocks are luxury cars while mine is a Jeep.

Cheers,
    Lawson

Patrick Browning
    BPL Member

@optimator

I wasn't trying to compare your hammock to theirs. I was comparing the materials. I'm not a gram counter, so I have no problem packing my 9oz spinn tarp along. I use my hammocks without a tarp whenever I can. But I have been out with "no chance of rain" and had to string it up in a hurry!

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Any update on this?

Im not a hammocker myself but this is a great product!

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

A small production run is right around the corner. I am waiting on one thing that was shipped yesterday and then I will have 20 available for sale. They will come with the "Tarmock" (hammock/tarp), stuff sack, and 2 CAMP Nano 23 carabiners. The introductory price will be $100.00.

I will also be offering a hanging kit which will include 2 6' long x 1" wide tree straps, 2 6' long whoopie slings, 2 Mountainfitter Titanium Nail Stakes (new product), 8 Mountainfitter Ti-Eyes, and 50' of our new solid braid Guywire (new product) The into price on this kit will be somewhere around $40.00. Everything will also be available separately for those that already have some of these items.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Lawson,
    Lose the Camp biners and get some Dutch Biners for the weight savings!

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DutchBiner.htm

M

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Or better yet, don't use anything and save even more weight. :P

You can just loop the locked eye on the end of the whoopie back on itself after threading through the channel.

The way the tarmock uses biners, I'm not sure the dutchbiner would work, considering the aperture.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

I concur with Javan on this one.

—M

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools