Topic

More windshirt stuff – Houdini vs. Ion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) More windshirt stuff – Houdini vs. Ion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Robert McGaughey

@havoc

Locale: North Texas

OK. Everyone seems to love both the Patagonia Houdini and the Marmot Ion…..3 reader reviews for each and each recieve a 5 rating. Can anyone with experience with both of these lightweight wonders fill me in on their differences….breathability, rain protection, etc… Thanks very much

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Robert:

I’d like to add the GoLite Wisp to the comparison. It isn’t full zip, but GoLite will be coming out with one, using the same material. So:

Patagonia Houdini?
    Marmot Ion?
    GoLiteWisp (assume full zip)?

Casey Ryska

@cryska

I have the Houdini and I really like it. I’ve used backpacking and alpine climbing and have found that it performs well in all aspects. It really blocks the wind and has held up some fairly nasty storms. I havn’t ever tried the Ion, but I do have some Integral Designs Pertex Quantam wind pants. The Pertex Quantam does feel like nice material and I have been very pleased with their breathability. My only complaint is that the material seems fairly fragile. I brushed up against a rock and ripped a hole in the pants. I was able to repair it, but I wish the material hadn’t ripped as easily as it did.

Joseph Rothstein

@joe_r

I have the Houdini and the Ion, both of which are pretty nice. I haven’t used them a great deal yet, but I’d say the Houdini is a bit more water resistant, and the Ion is at least a little bit more breathable. The Houdini seems to be higher quality and more durable. I noticed some the Ion’s stitching coming loose soon after I got it.

The biggest difference is the fit. The size large Ion is slim fitting, and the body is a bit shorter than a typical large sized t-shirt. The Houdini, also large, is very loose fitting on me (which is typical of Patagonia jackets), is a few inches longer in the torso, and probably about an inch longer in the sleeves. The Houdini’s hood is large and has a slightly stiffened brim, whereas the Ion’s hood fits more like the hood on a sweatshirt (snug, with no brim). The Houdini has a drawcord in the hem; the Ion doesn’t. Overall, the Houdini fits like a very light rain shell, and the Ion feels more like a hooded, long sleeve shirt made out of wind-resistant material.

Depending on how you intend to be using the windshirt, you might want to consider sizing down with the Houdini, or up the with Ion.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Casey,

The only wind pants I ever saw offered by Integral Designs is made of Pertex 685, not Pertex Quantum.

Casey Ryska

@cryska

John,

Your right. The wind pants are Pertex 685 and not Pertex Quantam. Maybe that is why they are fragile?

Joseph Rothstein

@joe_r

According to ID’s site, Pertex 685 is 1.85 oz/yd^2, which is twice the weight of Quantum. Based on that, and the feel of the two fabrics, I’d bet that 685 is quite a bit less fragile than Quantum.

I like the Ion, but for pants I’d probably want something more durable than Pertex Quantum.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools