Topic

source of replacement tent poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear source of replacement tent poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve King

@sskings

I'm rebuilding my beloved North Face Bullfrog with modern lighter weight materials, including some lighter poles. Who knows where I can purchase DAC poles or another similar lighter weight pole? I see Quest sells the Easton poles which are pretty light. Do they bend sufficiently to arc from left to right side of a 55" wide tent?
    Appreciate any help. Steve

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

You might contact these guys. I had them make a few poles for me a couple of years ago, and they did quite well. Their
    customer service was great, and they'll help you make anything you want, within the range of the materials that they carry.

http://www.polesforyou.com/index.htm

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Think you will need to have alloy poles prebent slightly to work in that tight a radius. Agree that having them done by poles for you is a good way to go. The Easton .344" o.d. are around 10% lighter than the DAC's, but as you might expect, are not as strong.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I went to polesforyou.com (Vancouver WA) and they bent some poles for me. 0.34" Easton.

They have this circular plywood jig with a metal piece to hold one end of pole and then they bend it by hand around the circular jig.

They have several jigs with different radiuses.

They can bend it by hand, it springs part way back, then they can determine if it's bent enough, then bend it some more by hand as necesary.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Jerry,
    Roger Caffin has an ingenious home-made alloy tent tube bender. Maybe he will post some pictures one of these days.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools