Topic

Sierra’s backpacking list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Sierra’s backpacking list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

Im going hiking in the sierras over thanksgiving weekend and Im looking for advice on my clothing list. im thinking about taking: 200wt merino wool long johns merino wool socks long or short sleeve running type shirts (depending on what you think would be best) windshirt rain pants softshell pants rain jacket mb thermawrap fleece jacket and/or vest( again depending what you advise) windproof fleece gloves and goretex outer mitts then OR options balaclava, fleece beany and rain hat Im mainly wondering if you think if i will need all of this and what you think I need to add or to take off. I will be sleeping in a mb ul super spiral 1. anyway, thanks in advance for any advice

also what temp range am I probably going to hit? going in kings canyon national forest up to jennys lake.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Josh,

A big, cold storm is due this weekend so I'd expect an accumulation of new snow next week. I don't know the elevation where you're headed, but you'd be wise to plan for the teens overnight, perhaps lower if you're headed high. Check the forecast carefully when finalizing your list and before heading out.

Your clothing list seems reasonable, although I don't see a down jacket and I'd consider adding one. There may be some redundency with all the hats. Unless rain is predicted I'd focus on cold weather gear over raingear, as snow will be more likely than rain unless we get a storm from the tropics (which does happen from time to time). "Typical" Sierra fall weather is clear and mild during the day, very cold overnight. It can also be windy, plunging the effective temperatures and making wind gear very desirable.

Your bag seems like a good match for the season and I'd pair it with a warm pad. What shelter are you considering?

Happy planning,

Rick

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

I was going to take my single rainbow. How about the mb alpine light jacket? Or the synthetic jacket john is selling in gear swap?

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

An Alpine Light sounds fine. It's warm for the weight and layers well. I prefer down to synthetic unless I'm expecting to get wet, then the extra weight and bulk are decent tradeoffs for the "insurance."

Cheers,

Rick

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

They are expecting 4 feet of snow to be dumped in the sierras this friday-sunday, with snow levels dropping down to 2500ft.

Just an FYI

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Yep, a big nasty storm. I dialed in a forecast for 7500 feet in KCNP and it shows snow the next five days with overnight lows of 16, 6, 3 and 4. Brrrr. Clearing by Wednesday, though, and skiers are jumping for joy.

cheers,

Rick

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

what are you planning to wear on your feet?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools