Topic

September Around Mount Hood

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable September Around Mount Hood

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

September Around Mount Hood

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice report! That stone shelter is awesome.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i got too excited when i saw mt hood … i thought that we'd get to see a summit push ;)

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Very nice report! I've wanted to do this for years, but have at this point only sectioned hiked portions of it. Forgive me if I add a few photos of my own; I don't mean to upstage your photos, but this is my absolute favorite mountain to photograph, and looking at your photos of this loop has gotten me looking at my own pictures over the past 5 years, which I'd like to share:

Yocum Ridge 1

Mt. Hood 1

Mt. Hood alpenglow

Mt. Hood flowers

Mt. Hood close

Mt. Hood low

Mt. Hood Paradise

McNeil 3

McNeil 1

McNeil 2

Trillium Lake 2

Hood River

Silver Star

Mt. Hood 2

Mt. Hood 3

I've never pulled these photos together in one place until now, and looking at them all at once, I feel overwhelmingly grateful, humbled, and fortunate to have experienced the beauty of this mountain on so many different occasions. You have inspired me to complete the loop next summer!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

John,

Great photos! My avatar looks like the same spot as your #5 pic.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Yes, those are the same location! What a dramatic location; it just feels so huge when you are there, these pictures don't do it justice.

Jerry, thank you for the first really detailed photos of the Eliot Glacier damage area that I've seen. Now that I've got a visual feel for the area, and know to plan an extra 2.5 hours in detour time, I feel like I can plan around it.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

And McNeil Hut too.

Great dayhike out of Portland.

Rio Rat

@rio

Nice report!

Logan K
    BPL Member

@logan

Locale: Florida

Thanks for an awesome report. In the "best practices" category though,

Your handline for stream crossing should probably be on the upstream side of you so that it doesn't become an entrapment hazard should you lose your footing.

Once again, awesome report!

Logan

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

nice report- thanks

I know "typical" weather is hard to put a finger on, but what would you consider typical weather for September- I'm guessing it might a little different early Sept vs late Sept- when was your trip?

thanks

Mike

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Just got back from a short trip and read people's comments

John – great pics – I'm an amateur with a point and shoot but if I go to nice locations and take lots of pictures a few of them are pretty good :)

I like your picture #1 with a sea of clouds encroaching on the mountain – very typical phenomena

If you don't go down to Cloud Cap, the Eliot detour adds only a little distance and time. The portlandhikers.org field guide has a little more detail and will have recent reports.

I agree, handline should be on the upstream side so people don't get swept into the line and then toppled. Those people in the picture started to cross on the wrong side and I recommended that they switch sides.

I was there Sept 2 to 6, 2010. Any time September is best, because weather is usually good and the snow has melted so streams are the easiest to cross. However, several years ago there were several days of heavy rain in September and someone going around the mountain drownd while crossing a stream. You have to watch weather reports.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Jerry,
    Great article and pictures!
    You have me pining for the great Northwest.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I have a buddy with a second home at Hood River. I know I can talk him into this hike. Great pictures!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Excellent stuff Jerry-I like your shelter…
    On my bucket list for sure……..

Tom Peterson
    BPL Member

@tpeterson1959

Nice article and great pictures. It makes me wonder why I ever left the PNW.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools