Topic

hysol and cuben

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear hysol and cuben

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Last night I had my first experience with cuben fiber. I am makinh waders. I folded the cuben over and glued it to itself with a 1.5 inch wide seam. I put it on the floor and slid pieces of cardboard inside so i would not get glued to itself and stuck together. I put about 100LBs on topnkf it via textbooks with buckets on top. The hysol was very strong and after drying overnight it was extremely difficult to remove.

How do you guys dry hysol on cuben?

How long does it have to dry?

I am using the mixing gun and it uses a swirly tip attachment. I have to remove this and wash it out wihu high pressure water so I can use it again. If I dont the glue will dry inside. It does have what looks like a removeable core. Is there something I can soak it in or a better way that would allow me to reuse it.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I always mixed it by hand so I'm not sure about cleaning your tip.

Hysol seemed pretty slow to dry. I could still make adjustments to the bond for an hour or two and I monitored it for about 8 hrs to press down any wrinkles etc. It seemed pretty strong to me at about 24 hrs and probably at full strength by 48 hrs. It really depends though on how thick you put it on. If you laid it on heavy then it could be a long time before it's fully cured.

ziff house

@mrultralite

You don't say which hysol you are using.Safest just to let it harden over night, Clean the tip with
    acetone, just drop the works in a jar. then you have to pull the center out and blow or scub it. And watch for fire hazard with acetone, of course.
    Helps to keep the cap on that cartridge clean too as one side can harden near the tip. no guarantee of even flow with that thing.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

im using U-90FL.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools